Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Doggy-Paddle Olympics and Fun in the Parking Lot

Two hours ago, I ran across the parking lot and back—which included down two flights of steps. The best part is that I’m still walking on my own two feet. Maybe a little more tender than usual, but I can’t tell if that’s a mental thing. It is nice to know that my body still remembers how!

I’ve been water jogging the past two days—about half shallow and half deep. The only pool I have access to before class is shallow, so I do that in the mornings and then beltless deep water running in the early afternoon, when the Natatorium opens up. I like the shallow running because it does have some impact, and I can use it to build up some running muscles (or at least keep them from disappearing completely), but I’ve found it doesn’t get my heart rate up. So I do the deep-water running for cardio. When my schedule doesn’t fit with the pool’s, I hop on the bike.

I’ve found it challenging to maintain “running” form without the belt in deep water. At first I felt like my legs were too far out behind me. It’s gotten easier to stay vertical (at least is feels vertical) in the water. Today a guy thought I was somebody else who was training for the Olympics, so I guess I must be close to right. I don’t think they have an Olympic doggy-paddle event. :)

Physical therapy today was more stretching and strengthening—no more ultrasound. We’ve now added heel raises to work up to running on my toes, which is what I tried before with such disastrous results. Today’s parking lot adventure was just ordinary old heel-strike.

My therapist started out by asking me how I felt about my overall progress—was it the same, worse, or better? I had to think a while about the answer. I used to be able to run on it, and then it would be a little sore later—never the throbbing or pounding, and never for more than a day. On the other hand, sometimes walking is now totally pain free. I ended up saying slightly better, although I’m not sure if that’s from the therapy or just because I’m spending less time doing activities that would make me feel the pain. For now I’ll just try to stay hopeful that the physical therapy is really making a difference.
Post a Comment