Saturday, September 3, 2011

Just Don't Think!

Doesn't sound like good advice for a college student, does it? Maybe I need to qualify that statement.

I woke up this morning and walked to the bathroom without even thinking about it. I noticed I’ve been doing that a lot frequently—I’ll get up and walk a short distance, get wherever I’m going and then think, Wait, did that hurt? And I can’t remember that it did. I’m not sure if this happens because I’m so used to the pain, or if it really is getting better. Either way, I’m taking it as a positive sign that it doesn’t bother me when I’m not thinking about it. Maybe that’s the key.

I’ve been walking around (and stationary biking) all morning almost comfortably. My foot almost seems determined to make me a liar. The whole time at physical therapy on Tuesday, we experimented with forms of heel raises and toe walking that didn’t cause me pain. The only versions that fit the criteria involved me clinging to a pole or leaning on a flat surface for dear life, supporting most of my body weight on my hands. It was really more of an upper-body workout than anything for the feet/legs.
But now, feeling slightly foolish, I can do them without holding on to anything. Yesterday I did 60. (I got way too excited over that little accomplishment.) In fact I was doing them without support the day after my appointment. I don’t quite know what to make of it.

I’ll mention it when I go back on Thursday. So far, I think this is the best I’ve felt, at least since trying to run again. (I don’t remember too well before that.) We did try a different taping method this week, so maybe that has helped. I’m trying to keep it on until I go back, but I tend to swim right out of it if I kick hard. We’ll see how things go, I guess. I go to the doctor on Wednesday, so it’ll be interesting to see what he says, too. Although I’m starting to feel like I’m becoming the kind of person insurance companies dread.

In the meantime, I try not to overthink it—I just get more frustrated! Sometimes I wish I lived in Star Trek, with those whirring thingies that heal broken bones in two minutes. Or Harry Potter. Oh, excuse me, now I want to go read the whole series…again….
Post a Comment