Thursday, November 17, 2011

Loving the Blisters

Today I had my LAST physical therapy session. At least, I hope. It’s my last unless I start gimping like a cripple having trouble again. But I’m going to try as hard as I can to make sure that doesn’t happen. It’s encouraging that I’ve been consistently running (no longer shuffling!) slightly longer distances without any major disagreements from my foot, although it did raise objections about the elliptical a few weeks ago. But since I actually hate the elliptical, that’s not such a tragedy.

Anyway, back on track…. When my therapist asked how it was going, I proudly told him I had just run four miles on the treadmill. (Technically it was two and two, since there’s a 20-minute time limit on the treadmills at the gym and I had to stop and then restart after two miles.) He wrote it all down on my chart, and then I added, “…and I did three yesterday.”

That’s right! This is probably the biggest success for me—two days in a row of decent mileage. The only other time I ran two days straight recently was less than a mile outside and then 2.5 the next day on the treadmill. And I was a bit sore after that. Now…well, let’s just say I can tell I ran. I wouldn’t call it sore (there is some of that normal “good” soreness you get from exercise), but rather stiff. And there’s hardly any swelling, if any.

Aaannddd…[drumroll]…I have a blister! It’s the first one I’ve had since probably July or August. I used to get them all the time on the backs of my heels, and who would have thought that I’d actually miss them. But I’ll gladly take a few blisters if I can have my life back.
Post a Comment