Monday, June 25, 2012

Doctor Knows Best

I went into my doctor's appointment today knowing that I would not come out running again. Even though it's been about 5.5 weeks since I stopped, I can tell that I'm not 100% yet. It's little nagging things--getting up after leaning sideways against something while I'm sitting, walking while bending over, pulling open heavy doors. I don't want to say it hurts, because nothing can compare to that first week or so after you break something (pelvis, heels, whatever). The best I can say is that it's there. So had I been given the green light on running, I would have said NO.

In our society, the doctor always knows best. After all, they've spent at least four extra years in school learning their trade. And they have to know it well, because people's health--and sometimes lives--depend on it. I have a lot of respect for them because I would never be comfortable giving advice on what to do, knowing that if you're wrong somebody's quality of life is going down the tubes. I would always be second-guessing myself and wondering what could have been different.

I really like my sports doctor. She understands how much I want to get back to running, how boring the stationary bike and pool are in comparison. But unfortunately she doesn't know squat about horseback riding. In fact when I got cleared to bike again after my heel fractures, she was all ready to let me ride until I informed her that my lazy horse needed lots of spur and that my fractures were almost exactly where the spurs rests on my boots are. Just the thought of how painful it would be almost reduced me to tears.

So when I asked today I was hoping for, but not expecting, something more concrete. Because this time I don't know, either. I might be able to do it, I might not. It's not as clear cut, and I want to be careful so that I can heal as soon as possible, but...I also want to go hop on Sydney. Right. Now.

So I'm allowed to try. In fact, I'm going to, tomorrow. But I have to keep it short, mostly walking and trotting and MAYBE a little canter. And I have to try not to fall off!! To be honest I'm not sure Sydney is in good enough shape to run off. Zoe has been riding him once a week and he gave my cousin and his girlfriend pony rides last weekend, but other than that all his energy has gone toward eating, which could be a plus in this situation.

Even if I can only walk around a little bit, I'm still excited for tomorrow. I need to reconnect with Sydney, to feel like he's mine again. He is the anchor that keeps me sane between work and other stresses.

I am, however, banned from riding Peter until further notice--doctor's orders. And you know, maybe they do know best!
Post a Comment