Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Peanut Butter Lover's Dream

I stopped by Appalachian Outdoors yesterday after work on a mission...
Mission accomplished! In case you haven't heard of it, PB2 is basically powdered peanut butter, with only a fraction of the fat and calories of regular peanut butter (unfortunately those are healthy fats, but I suppose there's a trade-off). If you've read this blog before, you probably know how much I love peanut butter, and I could easily eat half a jar at once. But that's a lot of fat--even if it's good fat--so I try not to. But with this you don't have to worry.


A peanut butter lover's dream! All the goodness of peanut butter without the guilt! You can also put it in things, like shakes, and use it for cooking. It's natural, too--all they do is press out the oils. Three ingredients: peanuts, sugar, and salt (in that order).


Something like this has to be too good to be true, right? You're probably wondering if it really tastes like peanut butter.


The answer it yes!! OK, not exactly like the Jif I'm used to, maybe a little bit of a sharper taste. But I would say the difference between this and the Jif is the same as the difference between another regular brand (like Skippy) and Jif. Only I like this stuff so much more than Skippy.


The instructions say to mix 2 tablespoons of powder with 1 tablespoon of water, but since I was only tasting I halved it. I have to say at first I was skeptical because the mixing didn't go so well at first, but I added a little more water and the end result looked just like peanut butter, smelled just like peanut butter...if I didn't know it was PB2 I'd assume it was the "normal" peanut butter.


I ate this right out of the bowl, all by itself--it's that good. How many times have I wished I could just do that with a jar of peanut butter? And now I can! I've always said that whoever invented peanut butter was a genius...but whoever invented PB2 is even genius-er. (Yes that is a word...now.)


There is also a Chocolate PB2, which sounds so delicious I'm tempted to stop again tomorrow and pick it up too!


The only downside other than the missing nutrients is the price. This cost me $5.00 for a 15-serving jar (about the same size as your average jar of peanut butter). But if you buy it from Netrition, you can get the small jar for $3.99 plus shipping OR buy them in cases of 12 or economy-sized bags, which is a cheaper option if you think (or know) you'll like it.


Regular peanut butter is still really beneficial, and I'll keep using it. After all, you can't beat the real stuff. But for making cookies or eating large quantities of peanut butter-flavored anything, I can see this being really useful...


Taste: 10--almost exactly like "real" peanut butter.
Texture: 9--you can change the texture to your liking by using more/less water.
Health: 9--not as high-calorie or high-fat as regular peanut butter, but it's also missing some of the nutrients that make peanut butter beneficial.
Eat Again? Every day, if it wasn't so expensive!
Post a Comment