Saturday, June 30, 2012

Peanut Butter S'mores Cereal Bars

I've been craving Rice Krispies treats treats lately. Well, not Rice Krispies treats exactly, but some kind of cereal/marshmallow combination. I could have gone out to the store and bought some variation...or, I could use up some of the cereal crowding up the basement and invent my own!

I couldn't find one recipe that sounded just right, so I ended up with a conglomeration of several plus a few of my own substitutions. I present to you Peanut Butter S'mores Cereal Bars. First, the ingredients:
  • 16 large marshmallows
  • 2 cups Golden Grahams or similar (I used the generic version, "Honey Graham Crunch")
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 5 tbsp Chocolate PB2
Really, you could use whatever cereal you want. But then they wouldn't be s'mores anymore :)

All right, let's get started! First, spray a 9x9 inch baking pan with cooking spray (or grease it with shortening). Then, heat the marshmallows and milk in a saucepan over medium heat until they're well on the way to melted, and then stir in the PB2:




Measure out the cereal and stir it in with the marshmallow mixture. I added it a little bit at a time, at first a cup and then two half-cups, because I had no idea how much would be too much for the marshmallow to hold together.


Press it into the pan...somewhat evenly. Mine has some really thin spots, but on the plus side that means there are extra-thick pieces! A rubber spatula works well for this, or you can use wax paper.


Put it in the fridge for a little while, until it's firm enough to eat. I'm not sure about the storage, but since there's milk in there I'd probably keep it refrigerated.

I licked off the spatula when I was done and ohhh, that marshmallow stuff was heaven! I could eat it all my itself...if it didn't congeal into a hard glob after a few minutes and become impossible to get off the cooking utensils.

Now, finally...cut and serve! We cut them into nine pieces:


They're a little thinner than your average Rice Krispies treat, but they're delicious. The best part is, they're not even that bad for you. They won't be in the fridge for very long!
Post a Comment