Sunday, June 17, 2012

Review: Life Choice Double Chocolate High Protein Bar

For a while before I started really caring about proper nutrition, my dad kept trying to push protein bars on me. In theory, it was a good idea: they looked appetizing enough on the packaging, and the flavors sounded good. Dulce de Leche, Cookies & Cream...yum!

Um, NOT. He tried to feed me the PowerBar ProteinPlus and he honestly thought they tasted good. No matter how hard I tried I could not stomach them. (I have since learned to approach any granola bars he eats with caution.) I thought that maybe now that I want my protein I would be able to forge through them, but I was wrong again. I took one bite off a vanilla yogurt flavored one and sealed it up in a Ziploc bag for him to eat later. Sorry for the gram of protein that was missing from that bar, Dad! :)

So I was kind of wary when my mom brought these Life Choice protein bars home from Walmart the first time. They were next to the Kashi GoLean Crunchy! bars, so she picked them up. At a glance: 21g of protein, 4.5g of fat, 8g of sugar, and 190 calories. Being a Walmart exclusive brand, these are also a reasonable price ($3.68 for a pack of 5 at Walmart.com).

And I quote:

“Double the chocolate, double the flavor. After pushing your body, you deserve a snack that tastes great, but also has the protein and nutrients to rebuild muscle. With 21 grams of protein, our double chocolate protein bar really delivers.”
I was surprised at the size of this bar even before I unwrapped it. Granted, it was also heavier than I expected given the size, but I was used to the monster PowerBar things...how can you cram 21 grams of protein into something that small? It’s shorter than your average pen and has a circumference of about two of my fingers. (I have small fingers.)

 
You can see there are some little rice crunchies mixed in with the chocolate filling. It looks good enough...

The chocolate coating seemed genuine, very smooth and even. So I closed my eyes and bit into it...and weirdly enough, these remind me of a giant Tootsie Roll. NOT in texture, in taste only. They sort of taste like chocolate, but it’s sort of fake too. It’s not bad--especially if you like Tootsie Rolls. You can still taste the coating, which I think is actual chocolate. The texture of this one is really soft, it could easily be broken with your hands if you like to pick at your granola bars instead of bite them, like I do. There’s a bit of crunch to the filling, but at the same time it’s kind of gooey. You know how the caramel in Milky Ways “stretches”? There’s a little bit of that going on here.

Given my expectations, I was impressed. As with all protein bars, if you go into it expecting real chocolate taste it won’t deliver. This is a protein bar, after all. But it does go down really easily, and by the time I got done I was definitely satisfied but also, in a strange way, disappointed that the bar was so small. It went by too fast!

Taste: 7.5--like a Tootsie Roll!
Texture: 9--soft and gooey inside with a little bit of crunch throughout.
Health: 9--great protein-to-sugar ratio, and less fat than a lot of other protein bars. I believe it has no sugar alcohols, either.
Eat Again? Yes. These are the ones I usually pick up at the end of the day if I haven’t met my protein requirement. Unless I’m trying something new for you. :-)

Nutrition Facts
Post a Comment