Sunday, June 24, 2012

Review: thinkThin Brownie Crunch High Protein Bar

Sometimes life gives you daisies, sometimes it gives you lemons. Likewise, sometimes it gives you protein bars that are worth your money, and sometimes it leaves you wishing you saved your money.

I had pretty high expectations when I unwrapped the thinkThin Brownie Crunch protein bar, mostly because I liked the Chunky Peanut Butter version.
Since I didn't have pictures with the last thinkThin review...from the outside it looks exactly the same as the peanut butter. These protein bars are bigger than the Life Choice ones, although they are probably close in actual weight--these aren't as dense but they're very good at making me believe I ate more.
When I broke this in half, it kind of bent up to a point and then just snapped in half. Which I found was pretty indicative of the texture of the bar. It was sort of chewy yet a little hard, definitely nothing to do with brownie "chunks." And very, very dry.

This definitely tasted like a protein bar. I wouldn't even call the filling chocolate-flavored. It has a sort of bitter taste, especially the aftertaste. It certainly didn't remind me of brownies, and although it was more edible than my first experiences with protein bars, it was sort of like eating wet sand. This may have been an old bar or something, because the peanut butter one was definitely not as chalky. But either way, the only redeeming quality was the chocolate coating. I ended up saving the ends for last, so the last bite had the highest coating-to-protein ratio. It wasn't bad that way, but I'm sure that's not what they intended....

On the plus side, the nutrition facts look great again. No sugar (but sugar alcohols), and lots of protein! There are a fair amount of carbs, but for 20g of protein, I'll take it.

Taste: 4--it tasted like a protein bar, no chocolate flavor beyond the coating.
Texture: 2--too flaky and crumbly, like dry sand.
Health: 10--No sugar and lots of protein.
Eat Again? No. Unless it's free.

Post a Comment