Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cold Stone's Competition

Well, I found two more hazards to add to Thursday’s aqua-jogging list. The first one is rubber balls thrown by six-year-old boys. (Believe me ducking while aqua-jogging is hard but if I hadn’t my face wouldn’t look the same anymore.) The second isn’t specific to aqua-joggers, but it’s shared by all swimmers: that electrocution thing. We had to clear the pool today while a thunderstorm passed through, but I waited it out and still got to finish my “run.”

But anyway, that’s not really what I wanted to write about. I got to try out some of the greatest frozen yogurt on the planet today!

We met up with a friend at Kiwi, which is in downtown State College, right across from Atherton Hall. To think I lived there for my freshman year and never once got frozen yogurt here! I always thought of Cold Stone as the go-to place for custom creations, but I think this place beats it—and it can be healthier, if you don’t go crazy.

Kiwi is a self-serve place, so you get your frozen yogurt, put whatever toppings you want on it, and then weigh it. You pay by the ounce, so you don’t have to feel bad about not filling the cup. Or you have to feel bad about knowing exactly how many ounces of ice cream you’re eating, because under each flavor they have the calorie count per ounce. Hmm…I guess that’s either helpful or depressing, depending on how much yogurt you dump in there. ;)

My dad went all out. He filled the cup with three (I think) different flavors of yogurt, plus toppings. I just tried a little of the Birthday Cake yogurt with, of course, some cookie dough topping. And then I saw that they had peanut butter cookie dough, and I had to try that too! Check out all their flavors and toppings on the website (each location offers a selection of them).

Obviously letting people self-serve with cones is just asking for a huge mess, so the only option was cups (we all got the small ones, which are still HUGE by the way). Now I’m definitely not a huge fan of soft-serve unless it’s in a cone (I need to lick it), but this was amazing! Mine was SO rich and full of flavor that I couldn’t believe it wasn’t real ice cream, let alone low-fat! WOW. I liked it better than Cold Stone’s cake batter ice cream, and it’s not nearly as bad for you.

Oddly enough, I didn’t enjoy the peanut butter cookie dough as much as the rest of my creation. Go figure, my peanut butter gene let me down this time. Still, that’s not to say I didn’t like it!

Like I said, you NEED to try this! I still can’t believe I spent three years living on campus and only thought of the creamery and Cold Stone when I wanted ice cream. I should have gone to Kiwi all along! The cool part is that you can have as much or as little as you want. The bad part is that you can have as much as you want…which is somewhat scary if you’re like me and frequently lose control around ice cream. I mean, frozen yogurt. Jeez, I still can’t believe it wasn’t ice cream!
Post a Comment