Friday, July 13, 2012

It's About Time (Part II)


Here it is: Part two of my protein powder taste testing, thanks to a great promotion from About Time! I already posted about the Peanut Butter, Cinnamon Swirl, Strawberry, and Chocolate Peanut Butter flavors. 

The peanut butter flavor from last time.

Ive decided protein powder isnt necessarily something you want to look at while youre drinking it. I usually use a different shaker cup that is opaque. The things you learn from blogging....


Anyway, after the first four flavors, here’s what was left:


Mocha Mint

For some reason this flavor only has 24g of protein and 101 calories (ha! Big difference!). As far as I can tell it’s the only one like that. But the real reason I waited so long to try this one is that I really don’t like coffee. I was hoping the mint would cover up the coffee taste, and judging by the smell it seemed promising. Both dry and mixed it was really minty. I tried a little bit of the powder plain; it was basically tasteless until the mint hit me, and then my tongue was tingling pleasantly. Mixed with water, it was really good! It basically tasted like mint chocolate. I wouldn’t call the chocolate flavor cocoa, like the Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor. This was more of a mint chocolate chip ice cream taste.

Banana

This was my least favorite. Not that it wasn’t well done; I just don’t like bananas as much as chocolate, peanut butter, strawberries, cinnamon, and apparently mocha mint. But if you love bananas this would be perfect for you because mixed with water, the whole ensemble--taste, smell--screams BANANA! The smell more so than the taste. Like all protein powder, it’s not an exact match, but it’s close. Which is funny, because of all the flavors this one had no smell and no taste as straight powder. At least, not that I can describe as something edible. Which I guess is why you’re not supposed to eat it that way.

Birthday Cake

As you know, this is my usual. No, it doesn’t taste exactly like cake. But when I first started taking protein I was so afraid of having to chug something gross (“wasting” calories on something I didn’t want to eat) every day.This was great for easing me into protein powder and not turning me off. Now that I’ve tested my palate a little more, I can say that this flavor isn’t as strong as the others. It is pleasantly sweet but for some reason the last few sips always get a little watery. Weirdly enough, when I don’t mix it well enough I actually kind of enjoy the slimy chunks because they pack a lot of flavor and they do feel kind of cool in your mouth.

Well, there you have it. I’m kind of sad all my free samples are gone, because I loved the variety. All these flavors were really good (just remember what it is, and don’t expect to be blown away) and there were none that I would rather have thrown out than keep drinking.

Since I’d just gotten two tubs (the second one is half-price) of Birthday Cake right before this promotion, I won’t be needing more protein powder for several months at least! But when I do, I’ll know which flavors to order! Now I need to figure out how to get the rest of my family hooked on protein powder so I can order some more of that Cinnamon Swirl....
/:)
Post a Comment