Sunday, July 8, 2012

Review: Kashi GoLean Chewy Oatmeal Raisin

As far as Kashi goes, it’s been hit-and-miss so far. They’re either a huge success or a dismal failure. The GoLean Chewy Oatmeal Raisin bar, however, falls somewhere in between.



The official description is:
Plump raisins, whole grain oats and a hint of cinnamon, all dipped in a vanilla coating gives this bar the flavor of oatmeal cookies—yum!”
Let’s see how well this bar lives up to its description. It does smell faintly of oatmeal, but it’s very subtle. As for looks...

 

I’ll admit that it’s a little disconcerting to see a white coating, because that’s not a color I have ever associated with oatmeal raisin. But I do adore yogurt coatings. Unfortunately this one is so thin as to be semi-transparent. You can even see a big raisin chunk about halfway up the bar.

As usual I broke it in half...or tried to. It was really hard! So appreciate the effort that went into this picture:

 

What can I say, the inside looks like an oatmeal cookie. The force it took to break was ominous though, and translated into a very hard jaw workout. Literally, I was sore! You can’t eat too big of a chunk at once, or you’ll give up on chewing before you’re halfway through. It’s really strange, hard yet chewy at the same time. (Forgive me for not making any sense!)  I would have liked a softer consistency to go with the cookie-looking interior, or at least something that didn’t remind me of a brick. But on the plus side, it kept me busy for a while! And I did eventually get used to it...perhaps it was just the initial shock and surprise making a big impression.

What this bar has going for it, though, is taste. I love the occasional oatmeal cookie, but since I’m the only one who eats them we never have them in our house. This thing really does taste like an oatmeal cookie (albeit a hard one). It had nice big raisins sprinkled throughout, and they are really juicy and flavorful! It’s a pleasure to bite into one of them and feel the squishiness (if that’s a word??).

This bar is hard to classify. Overall, if you can get past the chewing challenge (or if you have really strong jaws), I’d call it a success.

Taste: 8--it does taste like an oatmeal raisin cookie; love love love the raisins!
Texture: 6--definitely not for the chewing-challenged.
Health: 5--protein + fiber = healthy, but subtract some points for excessive sugar--as GoodGuide points out when giving this bar a measly 3.4 for health.*
Eat Again? Maybe.



*Note, the GoodGuide review was based on the original Oatmeal Raisin Cookie bar. The one I tried is reduced in size, but I'm not sure if the nutrient ratios are still the same.

Post a Comment