Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Review: Kashi Peanut Peanut Butter Chewy Granola Bar

If you’re thinking “enough with the peanut butter already!” don’t worry, because unfortunately this really doesn’t have much to do with peanut butter at all.

I’m starting to regret whatever impulse made me buy a whole box each of Kashi’s Peanutty Dark Chocolate Layered and Peanut Peanut Butter Chewy granola bars. But I love the caramel GoLean Crunchy! bar so much that I never imagined the other ones could be so...unappetizing.

This one sounds like heaven to me:

"With rich, creamy peanut butter, roasted peanuts and a touch of wildflower honey, our Peanut Peanut Butter granola bars have 4g of Fiber* and 7g of Protein.
(*5g total fat per serving)"
I was imagining gooey chewy peanut butter goodness, but no...



This was a flop from the beginning. It didn’t smell like peanut butter at all. It sort of smelled like peanuts, a little bit. But I had to put it right up to my nose and practically snort the thing.

Right away, I was wary because the granola looks a lot like what they used for the Peanutty Dark Chocolate Layered bar. And if you remember, I wasn’t impressed with that one either. Sure enough, this bar is really boring. Bland. Whatever you want to call it. Forget about honey, there was no “touch” of it anywhere. If you get enough peanuts mixed in, then it does actually taste like peanuts. (I just don’t love peanuts, soo....) And you have to try really hard to get any hint of peanut butter. It’s almost like willing yourself to taste peanut butter...hmm, maybe if I work on this technique I can visualize myself eating Ben & Jerry’s convincingly enough that I won’t actually need to eat a whole pint?

Texture-wise, it’s basically the same story as the layered bar I ate last week. Again, cardboard vibes. I suppose it was chewy, but it was annoyingly hard to finish chewing completely. I would have preferred more of a “crispy” chew, the kind you get with there are rice crisps in the base. I mostly just wanted to get each bite over with quickly, but this stuff really got stuck in my teeth. Which is bad, because I have a dentist appointment later. Oh, why did I pick today to try this bar??

Needless to say, I probably won’t be trying the other four flavors.

Overall, this was just a chore to finish. I was hungry from swimming this morning, but I was actually glad it wasn't that big. Now on to a stick of (sugar-free, of course) gum to hopefully clean out my mouth....


Update: Want some second opinions? I almost pawned off the rest of my box. Check it out here.

Taste: 3--Bland, with peanut flavor if you get enough of them; no peanut butter or honey.
Texture: 3--Annoying to chew, gets stuck in your teeth; a chore.
Health: 7--Contains fiber and some protein. GoodGuide gives this bar a 7.9 health score.
Eat Again? Unfortunately, yes. This was only the first one in the box.

Post a Comment