Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Review: Kellogg's Cinnabon Snack Bar

Remember my trip to the store last weekend? Well, this was one of my impulsive purchases: Kellogg’s Cinnabon Snack Bars. They were at the end of the cereal aisle, and of course the Cinnabon logo caught my eye because I love cinnamon rolls! (Who doesn’t?) The last time I had an actual Cinnabon was at an airport probably ten years ago. But I was curious about these bars--I like Kellogg’s cereal version of Cinnabons--so I figured why not? And I’ve been meaning to try them for several days now, but just got around to it at breakfast today.
“A snack bar with a world-famous blend of rich cinnamon, delicious fresh baked flavor, and melt-in-your-mouth frosting.”
Well, right as soon as I opened it I smelled cinnamon rolls. That’s a good sign. I also saw that it looked like a Nutri-Grain bar (from the underside). That’s a bad sign. I don’t really like Nutri-Grain bars. But the smell was about to make me start drooling, so I plowed on...for the sake of blog reviews, of course. ;)


Sorry, I forgot to take a picture until AFTER I took a big chunk off the end...but here’s another one borrowed from http://foodirl.com/post/kelloggs-cinnabon-bar:





I looks pretty much like the packaging promises, except maybe a little smaller. Kellogg
’s kept their end of the bargain with taste, too: it does taste like a cinnamon bun--not exactly, of course, but a VERY close approximation. I can’t speak for Cinnabons specifically, as I haven’t had one in so long and honestly can’t remember what makes them so special. But it was very sweet, the icing was crunchy, and the filling was gooey. The first piece I pulled off had a little goo string!


The pastry part was weird in that the texture didn’t fit the cinnamon bun profile. It was...hard to describe. I don’t want to say crunchy and give the wrong impression, but it definitely wasn’t soft like a roll. It was crumbly, maybe sort of cookie-like, but a melt-in-your-mouth crumbly. It worked well with the flavors.

I think this bar was intended to be eaten in strips, because it kept breaking along those filling “vents” on the top. It was a little annoying trying to break it perpendicular to those, but on the other hand if you peel off those two end strips you get a higher filling-to-pastry ratio!


Unfortunately these have practically no nutritional value, but what do you expect? It’s a great replacement for a real Cinnabon. And probably not intended to be eating for breakfast (hence the name “snack bar”).

So I guess my breakfast wasn’t the healthiest this morning, but I tend to fixate on things like that so I think it’s good for me to have some “junk” every once in a while. :)


Taste: 9.5--very close to a real live cinnamon bun.
Texture: 9.5--crunchy icing and gooey filling, but the pastry (while good) isn’t soft like a roll.
Health: 3--it’s mostly sugar and other carbs. The GoodGuide review gives it a 2.2.
Eat Again? Yes! Despite the lack of nutritional value, they taste great!


Post a Comment