Monday, July 16, 2012

Review: thinkThin Chocolate Fudge High Protein Bar

This review is bittersweet (no pun intended!). Chocolate Fudge is the last thinkThin flavor that my local Wegmans carries. I’m disappointed, because I’m curious about the other ones. But at the same time, the success rate--in terms of taste--is a little spotty. I liked the two peanut butter flavors well enough, but the Brownie Crunch made me hesitant to even pick this one up. After all, how much different can Chocolate Fudge be from Brownie Crunch?


Here’s the description:
“Bite into this smooth, rich classic fudge flavor dipped in luscious milk chocolate. This high protein bar is packed with flavor with zero grams sugar for a guilt-free indulgence.”


Sure looks the same on the outside. I like the size of these bars--they’re a little bigger than the Life Choice and Balance Bars, so my bottomless pit of a stomach seems more satisfied when I’m done.


It looks the same as the Brownie Crunch on the inside, too, except maybe a little bit lighter. The major difference that you can’t see is that when I broke it in half it was very soft; instead of a snap it kind of pulled apart. Things are looking up for this one!

Right from the first bite the taste was familiar. It was the same as the Brownie Crunch and very similar to the peanut butter versions, and to some extent yesterday’s ZonePerfect bar: there’s no mistaking it, this tastes like protein. I suppose it could pass as chocolate-ish, but mainly because of the coating (which, as usual, was my favorite part). There’s a not-so-pleasant taste under there that really sneaks in at the end, almost like an aftertaste...but then there’s an aftertaste, too. I really don’t know how to describe it. It wasn’t a total deal-breaker, but it didn’t strike me as “packed with flavor” either. At least, not in the way they meant it. I think there
’s something funky going on behind the scenes tastewise with all these thinkThin bars.

The texture, on the other hand, is lovely. I would almost call it creamy except that makes it sound less solid than it really was. Basically, it was very soft and fun to eat. None of the dry-sand feel of the Brownie Crunch. It was nice and moist, and overall eating this bar wasn’t a bad experience. It was palatable enough, but with other options out there that I enjoy more, I’m not sure if this bar will make back into my stash.

As usual, thinkThin’s nutritional profile is stellar: 20g of protein, 240 calories, and no sugar. It’s also gluten-free.

Taste: 5--it’s a step up from Brownie Crunch, but the protein is pretty obvious.
Texture: 10--“creamy,” soft, easy and fun to eat.
Health: 9--the usual thinkThin combination of no sugar/high protein. The GoodGuide review gives it a 7.4 for health, but considering that it gives the other bars a 10 I’ll go for a higher score. Just watch the sugar alcohols and fat.
Eat Again? Probably not.


Post a Comment