Sunday, July 15, 2012

Review: ZonePerfect Classic Chocolate Peanut Butter

We’re back to an old flavor today...BUT it’s a new brand. So the ZonePerfect Classic Chocolate Peanut Butter bar is a half-step into new territory.

Here it is in all its glory. It’s a substantial size, slightly bigger than the Life Choice protein bars and the Balance Bars and very dense.

 

It’s pretty standard with a chocolate coating. When I broke the bar in half, the coating actually didn’t want to come apart, which I thought was pretty awesome. :)

 

The inside is just rice crispies with a peanut butter-ish coloring. Looks promising enough, although aside from the chocolate coating there’s no smell.

Well, I wish I could say I enjoyed this one as much as the other brands, but the truth is it tasted pretty bad. Nothing like peanut butter. In fact, it was really sour or bitter or something, plus it left a proteiny aftertaste. The best bites were the ends, because they had a higher coating-to-inside ratio. The coating itself is really good, but unfortunately it’s used to mask the horrors within.

I will say this: if you eat big enough chunks without really thinking about it, it’s not so bad. That’s what I did after I stopped trying to figure out the taste because it was just making me reluctant to finish the bar. It also has texture going for it--nice and crispy, so you can crunch away on those big pieces easily.

Overall, though, I’d skip this one if offered a second time. Maybe another flavor would cover up the protein taste better.

Taste: 4--It tastes like sour protein.
Texture: 9--I liked the crispiness and chocolatey coating.
Health: 8--14g of protein, but it has even more sugar. Also watch the saturated fat. According to GoodGuide, this bar gets a 6.1 for health.
Eat Again? No.
 

Post a Comment