Tuesday, August 7, 2012

How Do You Say "Peanut Butter Sandwich" in Spanish?

Traveling messes with my stomach. It took a few days, but sitting in a car for eight hours finally caught up with me.

So when dinner time rolled around yesterday, I was totally not hungry at all. But everyone else was starving. Long story short, we decided to go to the Mexican place across the street from our hotel, Cancun Fiesta. Actually, I was seriously debating just staying home and grilling myself a peanut butter and maple syrup sandwich, but I felt like I should go along.

So I found myself once again trying not to eat those darned nachos! (I know I said I wasn’t hungry, but if you put food in front of me I will eat it!) I’ve decided that all Mexican restaurants use the exact same tortilla chips. The dips we got last night were pretty much the same as those from Plaza Azteca, too.

We all ordered some variation of the Vegetarian Combo meal: choose two of either burrito, enchilada, quesadilla, tostada, etc., and choose what to fill it with (cheese, spinach, onion, potato, mushroom…). Mine was a potato burrito with a cheese enchilada.


Hmm…it seems like all Mexican restaurants have bad lighting for taking pictures too! The beans were sort of scary at first (I’ve never been much for beans or rice), but I did eat them all. I would much rather they substituted those with another combo choice, though. Oh, well.

As for the burrito and enchilada, you can probably tell they’re almost the exact same dimensions as the ones I got at Plaza Azteca. That’s about where the similarities end, though. The burrito, instead of being stuffed with creamy, buttery, oozing mashed potatoes, was just a tortilla wrapped around boiled potato chunks. Which is all well and good, but I don’t like just plain boiled potatoes, and definitely not in big chunks. They’re just too…starchy and boring, I guess. I ended up eating the potatoes out of the tortilla and then eating the tortilla last.

The cheese enchilada was a bit better, but nothing compared to Plaza Azteca’s. Maybe it was a different kind of cheese, or maybe there was more sauce than I would have liked. Nonetheless, this was the best part of the meal.

All said, I should have stayed home and made my peanut butter sandwich. I guess you can’t win them all. But at least now I know the drive to Plaza Azteca is totally worth it!


Oh, and that peanut butter sandwich? It was my midnight snack. :)


Post a Comment