Saturday, August 4, 2012

Review: Clif Mojo Bar Peanut Butter Pretzel


**It’s been a long day in the car, but it ended with some seriously freaking good food!! I’m too tired right now to give it the attention it deserves, so I’ll tackle it tomorrow (or ASAP) and leave you with something I actually wrote before I left State College. Hope it’s an adequate replacement!**



So remember my issue with the Luna bars’ sexist marketing? Well, just to prove that I’m woman enough for a real Clif bar, I bought a Clif Mojo Peanut Butter Pretzel bar along with my Luna bars.

OK, I’m kidding. I bought it because it looked really good. And I know Luna bars aren’t meant to be sexist, but my mind works in strange ways. ;)

Mojo is Clif’s line of “sweet and salty trail mix” bars. I’ve never been much for trail mix (not enough chocolate), but the description of this bar caught my eye:

“Peanut Butter. Peanut butter chips. Peanut butter filled pretzels. No, you're not dreaming….”
Really? Are you sure? Because that sure sounds like a peanut butter fanatic’s dream...if you’ve ever dipped pretzels into a jar of peanut butter you know what Im talking about. (If you haven’t, go try it right now.) And the cool thing is that the wrapper is clear, so you can see that it’s living up to its dreamlike description:



It looks even better naked. Check out those peanut butter chips!


You can see a lot of pretzels too. Now for a close-up...



I have to tell you I am so stoked about the peanut butter chips because they are quite possibly the greatest food ever invented. Oh, all right, I give that title to ice cream (tied with real peanut butter), but peanut butter chips beat the hell out of plain old chocolate ones!


Right off the bat I can tell it’s going to be good, because it smells like peanut butter overload. No joke, it’s almost like standing over a jar of Jif. Plus, you can see the peanut butter binding everything together. My only reservation is that the peanut butter chips are only a topping; the meat of the bar is an oat/peanut/trail mix sort of concoction. Minor detail, though. It’s probably plenty of chips for a normal person.

This bar is not disappointing. You can taste the peanut butter in every bite, and it’s like real peanut butter, not just peanut butter flavoring. I think it works here because they’re not trying to use it to cover up another, less pleasant, flavor (aka protein), so the peanut butter really does get to shine through.

For the most part, the pretzels give a perfect salty complement to the sweetness from the peanut butter chips and mix really well with the peanut butter. There are some really big pretzel chunks, though, that pretty much blot out any other flavor. Which makes me a little sad, because the whole reason I dip pretzels in peanut butter is because it’s an improvement on the plain pretzel, but then the next bite is peanut buttery again and it’s all good. :)

This is your basic chewy granola bar texture, nothing special. What you see is what you get. There are no surprises, just the occasional pretzel crunch when you run across a chunk. It’s nice and easy to eat. Needless to say, I blew right through it.

Overall, great job. They are not lying with this bar, it really tastes like peanut butter. All the components are accounted for, with peanuts thrown in for good measure. +1 for the best peanut butter taste I’ve reviewed to date.

So, Clif, I forgive you for not thinking I could handle this bar. Not that you weren’t wrong. But how can I hold a grudge against someone who does peanut butter so well?

Taste: 9--peanut butter, pretzels, peanuts, and peanut butter! The only complaint was when the large pretzel chunks took over the whole flavor.
Texture: 9--sticks to your teeth, but it keeps you busy without making you work too hard.
Health: 10--it’s low glycemic and has a good amount of protein. The fat may be a little high--but very little of it is saturated. I could totally see this for hikers, as a trail mix substitute. GoodGuide scores this bar at 6.5.
Eat Again? Umm, yeah!

Post a Comment