Sunday, August 19, 2012

Review: fullbar Peanut Butter Crunch

While we were at the beach, I tagged along with my mom and sister to buy earrings at a silver shop they’d found earlier. At one point my sister got to feeling guilty because the pair she liked best were so expensive. So I looked at her and said, “That’s probably less than what I’ve spent on protein bars here.”

Which is true. But when you stop at a new Unimart or Food Lion or Harris Teeter or even Sheetz, there’s always an aisle with snack bars. So of course I had to investigate them all, and then have an internal debate about whether or not they were worth paying for when I already had a bunch...I did pass up a lot of them, but I also bought a lot too.

At the very first gas station we stopped at, I was only going to buy one. But then I saw “Peanut Butter Crunch” and my hand just reached out and grabbed the package. And now I’m finally getting around to reviewing the fullbar Peanut Butter Crunch!

Even before I opened the wrapper, I could tell it was big. You probably know by now how much I like big, so I was really excited. I opened it up and sure enough, it’s bigger than the Kashi goLean Crispy (formerly Crunchy!) bars, which are (half of) my usual weekday breakfast.


AND, it’s thick!


This is one of the most promising bars I’ve seen yet. The peanut butter icing looks amazing, and the goop that holds it all together is nice and dense in some places (although the bar itself isn’t overly sticky). It looks like it’s made up of Honey Smacks, which is fine since I like Honey Smacks. :) On top of all that, it smells really peanut buttery!

OK, a 10 for appearance and scent. Now onto taste. I pulled a big chunk off the end, and let me tell you this bar doesn’t “break” off like some. It just kind of pulls apart and there are little goop strings that stretch and then break. If you’re ever tried to pull a piece of a Rice Crispies Treat off with just your fingers, it’s like doing that with something slightly less dense.

My first bite was a big surprise. I was expecting something crunchy (after all, Honey Smacks are crunchy!), but no. This tastes soggy! At first I didn’t really like it--peanut butter shouldn’t be soggy, plus granola bars are supposed to be crunchy--but I did get used to it. It’s not bad, just different.

There is some peanut flavor in there, but the majority of it is the oat thingies. Not only do they look like Honey Smacks, they taste like Honey Smacks, and they really come through. They kind of take over the peanut butter flavor, and the topping doesn’t seem to help much. I did taste a bit of the icing by itself, though, and it is indeed peanut butter!

There are some times when this bar is quite peanut buttery, but it’s hard to focus on that flavor with the stronger honey-nut clamoring for your attention. For me, the flavor combination actually worked well. I wouldn’t say no to more peanut butter, but it was good the way it was, too. Just don’t get your expectations too high.

Taste: 8--don’t expect too much peanut butter, but if you like Honey Smacks you’re golden. :)
Texture: 6.5--not was I was expecting, and it would have been better crispy rather than soggy. But I did sort of get used to it.
Health: 7--I had no idea this was a “diet bar” until I looked it up online. Apparently it has some ingredient that’s supposed to make you feel full (didn’t work for me!), which makes me skeptical. That said, there is a decent amount of protein and fiber.
Eat Again? If you gave me one, sure. I’d be willing to try the other flavors, too.

Post a Comment