Sunday, August 12, 2012

Review: Luna Bar Iced Oatmeal Raisin

After my initiation into the world of Luna bars, I started to realize their full potential. They have some awesome-sounding flavors, and if they’re as well done as the Caramel Nut Brownie bar I’m sold.

So the nutrition-bar aisle at the Harris Teeter’s in Virginia Beach was like a candy store for me. I had to restrain myself from buying every flavor, since I know I can get some of them at my local Wegmans anyway. But I couldn’t resist picking up the Iced Oatmeal Raisin bar:

“Sweet, chewy raisins mingle with wholesome oats and cinnamon.”
I don’t know why this particular flavor called out to me, I was just totally in the mood for some oatmeal raisin. Oddly enough, there aren’t a whole lot of brands that make this flavor; the only one I can think of at the moment is Kashi’s goLean Chewy (now Dipped!) version.

So there’s a point in favor of this bar already. Double that because when I opened it up, it smelled just like an oatmeal cookie. And a third point for appearance, because once again the icing swirl is perfectly squiggled and you can see little raisins in the mix.

 

I’m pretty excited about that white icing. The bottom also has a pretty decent coating of it:

 

Well, let me tell you that the icing comes through! It tastes just like cinnamon bun icing, and it’s very creamy. I can’t tell if it’s supposed to be a frosting thing or a yogurt coating, but either way I love it! It’s very sweet, and to feel like I’m eating a cinnamon bun while actually getting some nutrients is a big plus.

Oh, what about the oatmeal raisin part, you ask? Well, it does taste like oatmeal and raisins (when you get one in your bite), but by and large the icing shines through and it’s more of a cinnamon bun taste than oatmeal raisin. Not that I’m complaining! I love cinnamon buns almost as much as I love chocolate and peanut butter. And the icing is the best part.

The texture is pretty standard granola bar fare--about what you’d expect from a base of oats and rice crispies. The raisins don’t add a whole lot of chew, which is fine.

For me, this bar totally works. But if you’re really in the mood for an oatmeal raisin cookie, you might just want to pick up the real thing. This is a pretty good approximation, but I’m leaning toward cinnamon rolls on this one. It’s very sweet, although not as dessert-y as the Caramel Nut Brownie version. But I could see myself eating it for either dessert or breakfast, too.

So Luna is two for two so far in the taste test...llet’s hope they continue to show the same promise!

Taste: 10--it’s more like cinnamon buns than oatmeal raisin, but I like cinnamon buns better anyway :)
Texture: 10--well done, crispy granola bar standard.
Health: 9--well, it is “the whole nutrition bar for women.” It will give you 9g of protein, fiber, and other essential nutrients, while being 70% organic. GoodGuide only warns about the sugar content; its score is still a high 8.9 for health.
Eat Again? Yes!

 

Post a Comment