Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Comeback

Remember Walden Farms, maker of wondrous calorie-free indulgences like marshmallow fluff and peanut butter?


OK strike that. Remember Walden Farms, maker of barely edible peanut spread and sickly-sweet marshmallow dip?

In all fairness the marshmallow dip did end up making the most delicious pudding-y thing I’ve ever tasted when combined with Chocolate PB2. So my conclusion was that Walden Farms products were meant to be mixed with other, real foods instead of eaten as pure substitutes for whatever they resembled.

Then I tried some of their syrups.

If you remember from my bodybuilding.com order, I also got some caramel and pancake syrups in addition to the “peanut” spread and marshmallow dip. Even after that fluffernutter fiasco I was still pretty excited to try the pancake syrup because it always gets really high ratings. The caramel I was a little more reserved about.

I put 2 tablespoons of the pancake syrup in my plain Greek yogurt the other day. Then I licked the tablespoon measure. And I was amazed. This is an exact replica of maple syrup--at least the light kind we usually have. Yes, it’s a little more runny, but after sitting in the fridge for a while it does get slightly thicker. I don’t think the texture will ever be quite right, but I totally don’t care since it tastes so good! Plus it was going in my yogurt anyway, so the texture didn’t really matter.

I was saving the caramel for...I don’t know what, exactly, but then my mom made brownies. (OK, Betty Crocker “made” them, but my mom baked them!) And nothing goes with warm brownies better than whipped cream and caramel.

Betty Crocker Low Fat Fudge Brownie with Walden Farms Caramel Syrup and light whipped cream...delicious!
I told you I have a huge sweet tooth, if you don’t believe me just look at the size of that thing. ;)

I made sure to taste the caramel syrup first because I did NOT want to ruin this brownie!! I probably literally would have cried...but thankfully there was no need for that; once again this was pretty spot-on with the taste. There was a very slight aftertaste, but unless you’re drinking it straight out of the bottle, whatever you put it on will easily cover that up. As was the case with my brownie. :)

Now that I mention it, I probably could drink the pancake syrup straight out of the bottle...OK OK, I’m kidding. But I really do love it. So Walden Farms has redeemed itself a little in my book after the peanut spread abomination. Perhaps mixing it with one of these two would make it more edible....
Post a Comment