Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Virginia Beach Ice Cream Guide

I’ve been writing about all the restaurants we’ve tried, but I bet you’re wondering where we ate the most important meal of the day: dessert!

There are at least two ice cream stores per block here, so needless to say we’ve been eating a lot of it. In fact there was only one night when no one felt like making an ice cream run.

There’s absolutely no way you could try every ice cream place here in just six days, but the following establishments are, in my opinion, necessary.

Kohr Bros. Frozen Custard



No, it’s not ice cream. It’s better than ice cream! This is the creamiest soft serve on the planet. They have a variety of flavor twists available, like banana/strawberry, chocolate/vanilla, chocolate/peanut butter, chocolate/mint, orange/vanilla…and of course you can get all of those flavors separately too. Or you can go for a smoothie or a Snowstorm (basically Dairy Queen’s Blizzard with fewer options).

I literally cannot describe how rich and creamy this is, and a small is plenty even for me. I tried the chocolate/peanut butter combination, and it was some of the best peanut butter-flavored ice cream ever! The best part is it’s low-calorie and low-fat; one small vanilla cone starts at just 130 calories! And this filled me up way more than a large cone from…

Ben & Jerry’s



This is literally right across the street from our hotel. And, come on, it’s Ben & Jerry’s. To be that close and not visit would be a crime. I don’t think I need to expound the virtues of their ice cream, because everyone knows how sinfully rich B&J’s is, but this store had an added bonus: a test batch of a new flavor, Cinnamon Cereal Swirl.

Now, B&J’s Cinnamon Buns is hands down the best flavor in the universe, and this sounded pretty similar, so I asked for a little taste. It was amazing. But, I was in the mood for sugar and chocolate overload, and went with…


Phish Food! Another one of my favorites!

The actual store is very small, and also very popular, so we were crammed in there with a ton of other hungry, ice cream-craving people. But a store-bought pint is just not the same as a B&J’s scoop shop experience. They can make you smoothies, shakes, and sundaes on top of your usual cone or dish. I just wish it wasn’t so expensive!

Sweet Frog



This is basically Virginia Beach’s version of the Kiwi we have in State College. It’s a self-serve frozen yogurt bar, with a lot of the same flavor selections and nearly identical topping choices. 




I had cake batter yogurt, which tasted just like Kiwi’s birthday cake flavor. I also got to try Milky Way frozen yogurt, which I have never seen before. It was really caramel-y and creamy! I topped it all off with some cookie dough, brownies, caramel cups, and a squirt of marshmallow topping…delicious! 


There is something about actually making your own ice cream bowl that makes it that much tastier.

Besides these three, there are random soft-serve shops and multiple places that carry more flavors of Hershey’s ice cream than I can count. So no, we didn’t (and won’t) hit all the ice cream retailers. But these three are all favorites, and rightfully so!
Post a Comment