Monday, September 3, 2012

A New Kind of PeaNUT Butter

What could be better at the end of a long and not-so-great day than free stuff in the mailbox?

That’s right--free! I signed up for a free sample of Planter’s NUTrition Cinnamon Raisin Granola Nut peanut butter, and despite my doubts as to whether it would actually arrive, I found it waiting for me when I got home from work midweek. And even though I was really excited about it, I didn’t get around to trying it until this weekend.


I like the idea of raisins and granola in peanut butter. When I lived in the dorms, I used to buy these premade peanut butter/fruit wraps that had the traditional PB&J, along with an entire banana, granola, and raisins. Totally awesome (although the banana was my least favorite part). I was hoping this new peanut butter would help me recreate those obscenely delicious tortilla monsters.

The first thing I noticed when I opened it up was the smell: for once, peanut butter wasn’t front and center! Usually it dominates everything, but here I could definitely detect the granola and raisins. That made me hesitate, because what I love about peanut butter is...well, it tastes like peanut butter!

My first taste was just the mix by itself. I wasn’t thrilled that it was so granola/raisin-y with a touch of peanut butter. Nevertheless, I spread it on a FlatOut Original whole wheat wrap.


It was hard to spread! I blame the peanut chunks (I mean look how many there are!), but whatever the reason, you can’t get a thin(ish) coating with this! And since I didn’t want to use four servings of peanut butter (for obvious reasons), I didn’t cover the whole wrap.

It turns out I didn’t need to. There was plenty of peanut butter on the part I did cover to more than make up for it. And while the peanut butter plain was a bit of a bust, I really did shine when I rolled up the wrap and started eating. I’ve never liked chunky peanut butter as much as creamy, but here it added texture. Probably because it was the only thing in my “wrap” (I decided marshmallows might not mix too well with the raisins and granola).

The peanut butter taste was stronger, maybe because it was in larger quantity. I could still taste the raisins and such, and it was a nice enough addition. But my favorite part was hitting a granola piece and having it crunch. It’s different than the peanuts’ crunch; it’s more of a crisp. The raisins didn’t add much texture; I think they’re more of a taste element. I’m sure you’d notice them if you were eating this straight off a spoon, though.

In all, this was a good product. It was nice for a change of pace, but I love my creamy Jif. So once I use up the Planter’s, that’s probably what I’ll go back to. But if you love peanut butter (and granola, cinnamon, and raisins), this is definitely worth a try. It did remind me a bit of those fruit wraps, sans banana.
Post a Comment