Thursday, September 20, 2012

Even Ben and Jerry Aren't Immortal

I’ve been on a Ben & Jerry’s kick lately. I think I just needed some variety from my normal routine. Anyway, I was rummaging in the freezer last night and happened to find a relic from sometime last spring.


Chocolate Fudge Brownie Froyo. It’s not one of my favorite flavors, but Ben & Jerry do a great job of including huge brownie chunks, and for some reason yesterday I was having a huge chocolate craving. So, Chocolate Fudge Brownie it is.


Unfortunately Ben and Jerry have not withstood the test of time. If you look closely on the right, you can see that I scooped right through the middle of a big brownie chunk--which has turned white. Uh-oh.

As for the texture, it was icy. My scoops kind of flaked away from the rest of the pint, and it wasn’t creamy at all. It was worlds apart from the Phish Food Froyo I had recently, which had the same chocolate frozen yogurt base, so I can only assume it’s my fault for letting this pint sit in the freezer so long.

So it wasn’t as enjoyable as Ben & Jerry’s usually is. It was certainly full of big brownies that at some point in the past were probably very moist and fresh, but now they were crunchy and stale. I had to let my ice cream melt for a little bit to get a better texture, and then I fixed it up with lots of caramel and chocolate sauce to make it passable.

Well, I guess you learn a lesson every day. Last night’s: don’t leave ice cream in the freezer for half a year and then expect it to be like new. Even the ice cream gods are not immortal. ;)
Post a Comment