Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Rain, Rain...OK, I Guess You Can Stay

Today was my first downpour in over a year.

Running, that is. It’s not like I crawled under a rock for a year and never even saw a downpour. I just haven’t run in one in a long, long time.

I used to do it all the time. I’d be shivering and even the exertion of heavy cardio couldn’t warm me up, my sweatshirt would be hanging off me like old skin, and it would suck so bad I’d be near tears. But I actually kind of missed that.

Yes, today’s run sucked. At least, the part where it was raining buckets, which was of course at the very beginning, so I was soaked the whole way through. I got to test how much I remembered about dodging puddles, hopping over branches, and trying to see where I was going while the wind blew water into my eyes. And then the rain stopped and the sun even peeked out from behind a cloud.

I guess this would be the place to insert cheesy metaphors about the sun always prevailing through the dismal parts of life...but, actually, what really struck me was the sound of my footsteps. They weren’t the usual sharp raps, but rather sloshing, squishy splashes. Alone on the bike path, with no idea where I was (I took a different route today), they sounded so loud. After the torrential rain assault, it really just emphasized the peacefulness of hitting the zone, mindlessly putting one foot in front of the other, and letting my mind wander while my feet carried me.

So yeah, I looked like a drowned rat when I finished. My shoes are in the dryer as I type. But there was something contentedly cozy about changing into a nice warm pair of dry socks and feeling a sense of accomplishment. Yes, running in rain sucks. But I enjoyed it.
Post a Comment