Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Review: Clif Bar Peanut Toffee Buzz

Here I am again, proving I’m man enough to take on a real Clif bar! (Sorry, even though I’ve gotten over my perception of Luna’s marketing as sexist, I still can’t resist taking a jab at them.) Anyway, this is a flavor I’ve had before, a long time ago, and I remembered thinking it wasn’t too bad, so when I saw it at Wegmans I impulsively added it to my basket.

Here we are: the Peanut Toffee Buzz bar:


Wait, when did Clif start putting pretty designs on their manly energy bars? I don’t remember the last one I ate having those drizzles. Looks like they’re taking a leaf out of Luna’s book...


I always think these things look like the molasses treats I make sometimes for the horses...I actually think Sydney would love them. They are right up his alley. The texture is oaty with some crispiness to it, as well as chewy like molasses. Basically, just what you’d expect based on looks. I didn’t have a hard time chewing it, but I think if you took a huge bite you could have issues. My dad takes these with him on long bike rides, and I’m not sure how he eats it while riding. But he’s proved it can be done, so I can handle it sitting on the couch at home.

I love toffee, because it’s so unique. I don’t know about mixing it with peanuts, though. This bar has such an odd taste that I can’t really describe it. It is sweetish, with an aftertaste that almost tastes like soap. I know, weird, right? But that’s the first thought that crossed my mind. I definitely can’t taste either toffee or peanuts individually; it’s more like this weird mishmash of flavors. It’s not entirely bad, just...different. (I did get over the soap taste as I kept eating.)

The texture does sort of deteriorate upon chewing as the rice crispies dissolve faster and leave the tougher oats behind. As always, it’s very dense and there’s a “chew” factor (just look at the molasses sheen). It’s also a bit sticky, so do as I say, not as I do and please don’t set it on a paper napkin for pictures.

Taste: 7--not really toffee or peanuts, it’s kind of bizarre. But not in a completely bad way.
Texture: 8--sticky, chewy, crispy; watch where you set it down.
Health: 8--the energy comes from sugar. GoodGuide gives it an 8.4.
Eat Again? Probably not.


Post a Comment