Thursday, September 6, 2012

Review: Luna Bar Chocolate Chunk

If you can find me a company that makes granola bars and doesn’t have a chocolate chip flavor, I will…I don’t know. I guess there’s not much I can offer in the way of incentives here, being a non-present blogger who know how far across the world. But it would really surprise me, because chocolate chip is one of the classic flavors.

I was curious about Luna’s take on chocolate and granola, which resulted in this Chocolate Chunk bar. These aren’t just any chocolate chunks, they’re chocolate chunks meant for women! I seriously wonder how much of the market Luna misses out on because men are embarrassed to be seen in public with a Luna bar.

All right, back to the actual bar…as far as appearance, it’s true to its description:

“Out nutritious take on the classic chocolate chip cookie with big, mouth-watering chunks of dark chocolate.”

There appear to be big chocolate chunks plunked down in the bar, along with more plentiful but smaller chips (which, oddly enough, look like raisins). The only thing that disappointed me here was the lack of signature coating on the bottom…that’s usually my favorite part!! :(

As this close-up shows, when they say chunk they mean CHUNK! They really are big, and they make a really hard thud. If you get a bite with a chunk in it, it’s basically like eating straight chocolate. Truthfully, those chunks basically the life of this bar. The granola is just mediocre background filler, but the chunks save it. On closer inspection I found the “chocolate chips” to be darker colored crispy pieces, which were no help at all.

I think my main problem with the granola part is that it’s a little dry. It crumbles very easily, but combine that with the fact that it’s finger-sticky and I’m officially confused. If it’s going to stick to my fingers it might as well stick to itself, too. It’s not like it falls apart in your hands, but it’s not satisfyingly moist with goop that holds it together, either.

This bar certainly isn’t any worse than other chocolate chip granola bars. Sure, some of the others do a better job of making the base appealing, but they don’t have those huge hunks of chocolate. It’s a toss-up.

Taste: 8—I like the huge chocolate chunks, but the base could use some help.
Texture: 7—I would be more understanding if it stuck to my fingers and itself, but it was a little bit too crumbly for me.
Health:
9--70% organic, and contains lots of nutrients to fuel you. GoodGuide gives it an 8.9.
Eat again? I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy them, but I wouldn’t refuse one if offered.



Post a Comment