Sunday, September 9, 2012

Review: Quest Protein Bar Mixed Berry Bliss

All right, I’ve been pretty much swamped with stuff, so this review is a little stale...I actually ate the bar a couple of days ago and I’m going to do my best to remember my exact thoughts while I look back at my notes.

You know I like Quest, so let’s get down to the nitty gritty details.


Well, as soon as you open it there’s no mistaking the smell of berries. Don’t worry, they are definitely involved here! I thought it smelled a little bit like a fruit roll-up or maybe fruit snacks. I believe they are blueberries, at least that’s what I smell the most, but there are also strawberries on the packaging which leads me to believe it’s a combination of the two. Come to think of it, it did smell a bit like the Strawberry Cheesecake flavor.


It’s not just fruit flavoring, there is real (well, freeze-dried) fruit in there. As usual, Quest is using real food instead of just mashing up some artificial flavoring and protein powder. I really appreciate the effort they go to with their products. Hands down the best nutritional profile of any protein bar out there.

OK, back to the taste. “Mixed berry” is an apt description here, because, well, it tastes like berries. Mostly blueberries, in my opinion. But honestly, there could have been strawberry mixed in there too and I just didn’t recognize it for what it was because it didn’t taste exactly like real strawberries. All I know is that it was different enough from the Strawberry Cheesecake that, if we’re basing Quest’s strawberry flavoring off of the Strawberry Cheesecake bar, I’d tell you there weren’t strawberries in this one, or at least not many. Not that I was disappointed, because this bar was still plenty fruity!

This is also one of the softer bars, which was a plus. I don’t like the texture of the chocolate-based ones as much, since they tend to be drier and harder to chew. But this one is moist and even a little juicy at room temperature. The only downside is that the softer bars also tend to be stickier; this one was a bit sticky, enough to make me glad I got a keyboard cover for my new investment (MacBook).

Now for the weird part. I ate the first half, right, like usual. And then I nuked the second half for 10 seconds like the company recommends. Only half, mind you, so shouldn’t it need a little less? I guess not. Even though it was only half a bar, it was still very firm to the touch and honestly not that much different to eat than before. Usually the softer bars get pretty gooey when heated, but I guess this one was feeling recalcitrant. That said, it definitely wasn’t a disappointment.

Taste: 9--I didn’t think I’d like it as much as I did, but the blueberries really came through and it sort of brought back childhood fruit roll-ups
Texture: 8--pretty soft on its own, which is good because that didn’t change in the microwave.
Health: 10--as always, great. There’s no junk.
Eat Again? Yes, but it’s not my favorite.


Post a Comment