Monday, October 29, 2012

Review: Luna Bar S'mores

Some products make you say, “Wow!” That’s part of the fun of writing these reviews: I get to experiment and occasionally find new things that I absolutely love.

On the other hand, some products aren’t worth writing about...except, of course, to warn you  about their boringness.

Take the Luna S’mores bar, for example. Supposedly, it’s

“Marshmallow nuggets swirled with graham crackers, topped with dark chocolate.”
But...


It really doesn’t get any more boring than that for a granola bar, does it? I’d like to see at least some indication of marshmallow--maybe those teeny freeze-dried ones that come in hot chocolate packets? Nothing about this bar indicates s’mores to me. It even smells like just a chocolate-coated granola bar. Not even dark chocolate at that.

So I already wasn’t expecting much. My very first bite I got a hint of...pretzel? I’m not sure, but at no point did this bar have me thinking of roasting marshmallows around a campfire. It tastes just as boring as it looks. It’s like your average chocolate chip granola bar, sans chocolate chips.

In texture it’s your basic granola bar as well. Crispy, a little chewy, sort of dense (but nothing like a real Clif bar!)...in other words, same song, second verse.

I’m not saying this is a bad bar, because it tastes fine. It just lacks anything to set it apart...in fact it lacks anything to back up the claim that it’s flavored like your classic campfire treat. That said, it was a pleasant enough experience.

Taste: 6--pleasant enough, but minus points for false advertising and boringness.
Texture: 9--satisfying, crispy, chewy.
Health: 9--Luna bars are 70% organic and designed to give women the nutrition they need. GoodGuide gives it an 8.9.
Eat Again? Yes, but would I buy it again? Probably not.


Post a Comment