Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Review: MET-Rx Big 100 Colossal Peanut Butter Pretzel

If you’ve been keeping up recently, you know I’ve been on a jumbo-protein-bar kick. You know, the ones that are closer to enhanced candy bars than clean protein bars. Normally I wouldn’t eat them, but...well, I have to admit they’re fun. They actually make a great dessert, and that way I can still eat my beloved Quest bars for breakfast (and get some good clean protein!).

Well anyway, the latest and greatest is the MET-Rx Big 100 Colossal Peanut Butter Pretzel bar. (Talk about a mouthful!) It comes in at 420 calories and 30 grams of protein--so again, this isn’t a light snack. But like I said, these things work great for dessert.

I’ll spare you the size comparison shot because I think you get the idea after three of four of these babies--er, sorry, monsters.


Wow! Now there is an artistic masterpiece! Here I was, expecting a plain old, chocolate-covered bar with pretzels and peanut butter inside. But no, every component is visible from the outside, and those pretzels on top are just way  too cool. Plus the whole thing smells salty and peanut buttery. Could this be the elusive peanut butter protein bar that actually tastes like peanut butter?


This looks promising, there are also pretzels and peanuts within the base. The pretzels on top are anchored by some sort of sweet goop, and while I can’t isolate its exact taste, I know it’s good. I wish I knew what it was, because it really enhances the texture.

That said, this isn’t a bar to rush. It is a bit of work to chew, but it is so satisfyingly crunchy and crispy that it’s well worth it. It’s so big it’s almost too tall to bite! I didn’t even try to break this bar in half for the pictures...it really is colossal. It’s slightly gooey, with rice crisps and crunchy pretzels...wow, it’s good.

As for taste--A+! I can definitely taste the peanut butter, which is enhanced by the saltiness from the pretzels. The pretzel-glue goop, whatever it is, is sweet--wait, I’m starting to repeat myself. I guess I just can’t get over how good this was. When I first started, I wasn’t sure I was in the mood for either peanut butter or pretzels. Boy, was I wrong! This bar really hit the spot.

Taste: 10--finally, a legit peanut buttery protein bar! The sweet goop and salty pretzels make a perfect combination.
Texture: 8--it takes some work--but it is really, really satisfying. If you have the crunchies, go for this one.
Health: 6--it tastes like candy, and maybe there’s a reason. GoodGuide gives this bar a mere 4.1 for health, calling it out on saturated fat, sugar, and sodium content. But keep in mind those 30 grams of protein.
Eat Again? Yes, these really do make good treats.


Post a Comment