Thursday, October 4, 2012

Review: Quest Cravings Peanut Butter Cups

** UPDATE: See the review of the final release of the Cravings Peanut Butter Cups here! **

Are you ready for Part II of the Quest Cravings release?


You better be! These arrived on Wednesday, which was the highlight of my (admittedly pretty shitty) week. They must have known I needed a pick-me-up: they sent me not one but two magnets this time! I wonder why the Chocolate Crunch bars didn’t come with magnets?


Well anyway, this was obviously Wednesday night’s snack. I’d heard that they melted really easily, and seeing as they got delivered on a warm day and nobody took them out of the sun until that evening, I decided to stick mine in the fridge first.


They do look a little lopsided, don’t they? Both cups had places where there was too much chocolate, and spots where the peanut butter showed through the top. They’re about the size of a Reese’s, and they smell JUST like one too! My mouth was watering just from opening the wrapper!

Which, by the way, was filled with little chocolate flakes that flew everywhere. I’m beginning to understand why Quest doesn’t coat their original bars.


The insides are a little paler than a real Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, and they look a bit drier, too. In fact, this is one of those cases where you should trust appearances. They pretty much nailed the taste, but this treat definitely made me super thirsty. The peanut butter part sort of expands in your mouth and takes over everything--it’s hard to describe, but I guess it could be like the way some people say peanut butter makes your tongue stick to the roof of your mouth. Either way, one bite is going to occupy you for a while, even if you have a water bottle handy (which you should, by the way).

Still, like I said, the taste was almost right for a peanut butter cup. Now I know it’s not going to be just like the real thing, because it’s...healthy (and Reese’s are notoriously unhealthy). The chocolate is a little less sweet, tending towards bitter--but I thought it was just like having dark chocolate instead of milk. Which is cool, because I love dark chocolate. The peanut butter is, while texturally not 100 percent, totally up to par on peanut-butter taste. Which is nice to see since no protein bar seems to satisfy my picky peanut butter standards.

The only downside to these peanut butter cups (aside from the gallon of water I drank--lol!) is the mess. Like I said, some of the chocolate had chipped off and was floating around inside the wrapper. The cups were also a little difficult to pop out of the plastic molds; my first one broke as I was trying to get it out. They’re definitely not for eating on the go. But as a treat? Yeah! If this isn’t candy, it does a pretty good impression!

Taste: 10--closest to a Reese’s without actually being a Reese’s (or other type of candy). Nice job Quest!
Texture: 7--a lot drier and flakier than a real peanut butter cup; have a drink ready.
Health: 9--it has less fiber than the regular bars, but for candy? This is great!
Eat Again? Yes, when I want protein and I’ve already eaten one original Quest bar...that’s a little too much fiber for me, so this is perfect.


Post a Comment