Thursday, October 18, 2012

You Get What You Pay For

** First off, thank you to everyone who commented to me about my last post (both online and/or in person). You’ve all been really supportive throughout this tough week and I’m so lucky to know each and every one of you. Thank you thank you thank you! In light of everything I’m going to try to keep up the spirit of the blog, so...here goes. **

I should know better by now than to unleash myself in a grocery store without a very specific shopping list. My last trip to Weis yielded numerous enormous protein bars (including Monday’s Supreme Protein adventure), blueberries, yogurt...and a spur-of-the-moment ice cream pick.


You know how much I  love Ben & Jerry’s Phish Food Froyo. It’s the marshmallow swirl that does it for me: so gooey and extra-sweet, thick and rich...I could go on and on, but that would accomplish little other than boring you and making me drool all over my keyboard.

So anyway, chocolate marshmallow ice cream sounded like a good flavor to try. Especially light ice cream. If this could be a Phish Food stand-in, I would be a much healthier person. ;) Plus, being Weis quality (which is not always a bad thing!), it’s MUCH cheaper.

So I eagerly dug in to my chocolate marshmallow...my chocolate...


...marshmallow? Where?

OK, so expecting it to have the thick marshmallow glops of Ben & Jerry’s might have been overkill. And upon very close inspection, you can sort of find some white streaks spattered about your scoops. But come on, it doesn’t even look close to the picture on the carton. Where are those sugary sweet ribbons?

The ice cream itself is, as they say, what you pay for. It’s very airy--so definitely not as filling as premium ice cream, but that’s to be expected. It’s not very smooth, either; more of an icy texture. Basically, it’s what it claims to be (sans marshmallow): reduced-calorie chocolate “ice cream.”

So yeah, I set the bar way too high on this one. Of course I’ll still eat it, but it’s going to need some spicing up with various toppings. Lesson learned: less is not always more.
Post a Comment