Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Few Food Finds

In case you’re wondering if I ever eat real food...I do. It’s just part of my routine and I don’t really think about posting it. But I had a few discoveries over the past month or so that I felt were worth sharing, because...well, they were good!

Firstly, have you heard of Butter Braids? Yeah, me neither. They make frozen pastries for fundraisers, and they’re not available any other way. Since my mom always buys things from kids going door to door, we’ve had this frozen cinnamon braided bread in our freezer for about a year now. So at the beginning of Thanksgiving break I suggested that we finally make it, since my sister (who doesn’t like cinnamon) wasn’t going to be around.


Well, we did, and it was amazing. You have to let it sit out for 8 to 12 hours, and it rises until it’s twice the size...then you bake it and frost it, and voila! Warm, flaky bread with ooey gooey cinnamon oozing out. It was a little messy, but you know that means it was good!


Discovery #2: Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter. Speculoos are cookies popular in Europe around the holidays, but they’re invading America now too. I don’t know what the actual cookies are like, but I think they’re sort of like shortbread with ginger, cinnamon, and a couple other spices. And they come in a spreadable form!

It’s slightly thicker than peanut butter and a bit harder to spread, and it tastes like gingerbread. Which is a plus in a house where we never make gingerbread cookies because I’m the only one who eats them. It’s great between two halves of an Oreo after you scrape out the filling (saving it for later, of course), or for a sandwich. Personally, the best use I’ve found for it is spreading it between a Thomas’ corn bagel.


Something about the sweet bagel and the gingerbread just mixes so well together, it’s almost as good as brownies. There’s some grittiness to the spread, too, which provides just the right amount of texture in between the soft bread. If you haven’t tried this stuff, go buy some. It’s awesome.

So there you have it, living proof that I don’t just eat protein bars and ice cream. I guess trying new things doesn’t have to mean picking up a new bar at Wegmans. :)
Post a Comment