Thursday, November 29, 2012

Breyers Blasts! Birthday Oreo (An Ice Cream Review)


OK, there seem to be a lot of mixed opinions out there about Breyers “frozen dairy desserts.” I’ve seen a lot of people that say they’re gummy, they melt too fast, they’re just so obviously not ice cream. I happen to like the ease with which they scoop (most of them, anyway) and they way they get slightly melty as you eat them.

One of my favorites is, of course, a limited edition flavor in celebration of Oreo’s 100th birthday. Since we’re coming up on the end of the year, I figured I’d better enjoy it while I still could, so here were are with the Birthday Oreo Blast! from Breyers.

“To celebrate family-favorite cookie,  OREO®, on its 100th birthday, Breyers® has whipped up a limited edition, cake-flavored treat exploding with OREO® cookie pieces and rainbow sprinkles!”
Now, if you don’t already know, I am a lover of all things cake flavored (except cheesecake). Especially cake batter, but that’s another story. I have a couple of other favorites, but I haven’t had this one in a while. So we had a nice reunion. :)


It’s like the Golden Oreo Blast! in that the Oreo chunks are a mix of nice, big cookie pieces and blenderized flecks. The sprinkles are fun for color, but they don’t add much else. I’ve never been a huge sprinkle fan because mostly they just get in the way, but here they’re pretty harmless.

I only wish the Oreos were a little bit more like the ones in the Golden Oreo ice cream (OK, frozen dairy dessert or whatever), in that they aren’t as soft. In fact some of them keep their crunch as if they weren’t immersed in a melting frozen dairy dessert, and I did really like the way the Golden Oreos felt like they’d been soaking in milk. Then again, maybe I just like Golden Oreos better than regular Oreos. Does that make me a traitor?

Sorry, I got a little off track there. But the bottom line is, I like this frozen dairy dessert, which I will henceforth refer to as ice cream no matter what the FDA says about its classification. The base ice cream is distinctly cake flavored and very sweet, so it’s basically what you’d expect: Cookies & Cream with a sweetened cake base. Slightly more exciting than plain old cookies & cream. So, if you’re like me and you love cake and Oreos, and have nothing against Breyers
non-ice-cream ice cream, this is definitely worth buying.
Post a Comment