Friday, November 2, 2012

Review: MET-Rx Big 100 Colossal Super Cookie Crunch

If you read this blog regularly, you probably took one look at the title of this post and thought, “MET-Rx again?!” It’s true that I’ve been eating a lot of these monstrous protein bars, but...what can I say, I bought a few as an experiment, liked them (and their size!), and have been hunting down all the flavors in town ever since.

So now I’ve got a big stash of jumbo protein bars (on top of the regular-sized ones and bars that aren’t protein but looked appealing), and that means...time to get eating! Where better to start than with the Big 100 Colossal Super Cookie Crisp?


It’s like the big bad playground bully, trying to intimidate everyone with its size. ;)


How about that sticky white stuff on top? I’m pretty sure they’re going for cookies & cream, and that’s meant to be the “cream.” It certainly looks mouthwatering. When I eat Oreos, I only eat them for the filling, so this was a particularly exciting aspect for me.


Below that “cream” is a dark layer made up of some sort of chocolate mix that I assume is the “crunch” in the title. And the bottom is dipped in a layer of milk chocolate--a nice touch.

At first bite, I’m reminded of something I ate earlier in childhood--something candy or cookie-ish, but I can’t remember exactly what. And then about halfway through it hits me: when I was in high school, my mom once bought those 100-calorie Oreo granola bars, and that’s what this tastes like. Well, sort of, anyway. It has a very dark cocoa-ish taste. The milk chocolate only persists for the first ten seconds or so, and then it’s very deep and dark. There’s a bit of a sour aftertaste, though, which is probably all that protein making its statement. The white stuff, aside from being a fun, different texture, really doesn’t add much.

I’m not sure I’d call this “crunch”; it’s more like granola-bar crispy. The “cream” part sticks to everything, so be careful! I’d also recommend not eating this on the go, because little pieces do tend to fall off (both the crisps and the chocolate coating). It’s also better to eat it when you can take your time--otherwise you might find yourself with tired jaws. That said, the crisp/crunch factor makes it very satisfying. I definitely wasn’t hungry when I finished this one.

In all, another good choice for “cheating” without cheating, if you’re into that. It’s not the healthiest protein bar out there (like most of these monsters, it’s sort of a souped-up candy bar), but if you’re in desperate need of protein and craving some chocolate (and have 400 calories to spare), this would definitely do the trick. For a protein bar, it does a passable imitation of cookies & cream.

Taste: 7.5--reminiscent of Oreos, though I wasn’t impressed with the “cream” or the slight sour aftertaste.
Texture: 8--crispy, rather than crunchy, but that works here. The only downside is the occasional wayward piece falling into your lap.
Health: 6--again, in going for the cookies & cream vibe, this bar pushes the boundaries of candy. GoodGuide gives it just a 3.7 for health, mainly for its sodium, saturated fat, and sugar levels. http://www.goodguide.com/products/249075-met-rx-super-cookie
Eat Again? Yeah, but not as a meal or snack--for dessert!


Post a Comment