Thursday, November 8, 2012

Review: MET-Rx ProteinPlus Creamy Peanut Butter Crisp

Yep, that’s right--giant protein bar review time. I’m thinking I may actually have to start buying these regularly, because I’m starting to really enjoy them.

This time my rummaging through the “review box” in the basement yielded the MET-Rx ProteinPlus Creamy Peanut Butter Crisp bar. Remembering how much I liked the Peanut Butter Pretzel from the Colossal line, I had high hopes for this one.


(Sorry, I just love how big these things are!)


Look at how perfect that is! Such a smooth surface, a nice even coating, and the color just screams peanut butter. Excited?


The inside is just as photogenic (if food can be photogenic). There’s a crispy-looking base layer topped with a fluffy light-brown marshmallow-type filling. It reminds me of the Creamy Cookie Crisp bar, only peanut butter.

This bar lives right up to its looks. It is awesome in taste and texture. While the peanut butter coating has a fake smell at first, it’s deceptive because this thing is REALLY peanut buttery! I’ve been on a quest to find a protein bar that actually tastes like peanut butter, and MET-Rx has now provided two. It’s there in every bite--I think mostly from the coating and fluff--with no aftertaste. The coating is the best part, as usual, but the crispy base holds its own too. It’s not a light crisp, nor the kind that makes a really big noise in your mouth. It’s more of a dense, chewy crisp. And very satisfying.

The only downside is that the candy-ish nature of the bar results in candy-ish nutritional stats. The ProteinPlus line tends to be a little lighter on calories than MET-Rx’s other bars, but it’s still not exactly a midafternoon snack. Still, you could eat this in place of a couple Reese’s and be 30 grams of protein better off. Like I said, I might have to start stocking these.

Taste: 10--two words: Peanut. Butter.
Texture: 10--nice dense crisp with a fluffy peanut butter layer and rich coating...yes, please!
Health: 7--30 grams of protein, but watch fat and sugar; that taste comes with a price. GoodGuide gives this bar a 6.2.
Eat Again? Most definitely yes!


Post a Comment