Friday, November 9, 2012

Review: Pure Protein Bar Chewy Chocolate Chip

Guess what? Time for a new brand of protein bar! Turns out the tiny Weis next to the high school (which is close to the YMCA, so I make frequent stops there) stocks some brands and flavors I’ve never seen before. Which is how I ended up with this Pure Protein Chewy Chocolate Chip bar. It’s a classic flavor, 200 calories, and 20 grams of protein. And I was curious to see how it stacked up against all my old favorites (Life Choice, thinkThin, and of course Quest).

“The soft, chewy, gooey, unearthly goodness of chocolate chip cookies have made their way into Pure Protein Chewy Chocolate Chip high protein bars.”
Unfortunately it’s rather small. I mean, it’s not teeny, but the ones I usually eat are all noticeably longer and wider. Sure, it’s a little squashed, but even account for that the size is a drawback. (These do come in bigger sizes, just apparently not around here.)


OK, there’s a lone chocolate chip. All I can smell at first is the chocolate coating, maybe a little fake/proteiny. Not unlike most other chocolate-coated bars.

First bite: Yuck!! It’s kind of sour, and definitely has that bitter protein aftertaste. It’s not exactly pleasant, but I will say that it got slightly better as I went along. The chocolate chips are really chunks--they are pretty big and really help with the taste by basically just making it taste like chocolate chips. But you don’t get them in every bite so...you are going to have to deal with at least some of the base on its own.

The bar is definitely chewy--gummy in a protein-bar way, with a crispy component. The chocolate chunks pack a nice thud. So all the components of its name are there, it’s just...I don’t know. Maybe if I ate them more often I’d get used to the taste, like I have with the others. Maybe their other flavors are better. Either way, I won’t be going back to this one.

Taste: 6--OK when the chocolate chunks cover everything up, but not so pleasant otherwise.
Texture: 8--chewy in a gummy sort of way, with a little crisp. I like the way the chocolate chunks thud!
Health: 8--a good source of protein if you’re lacking, and low sugar. But the label contains a warning about sugar alcohols--just something to keep in mind if you’re sensitive.
Eat Again? No.


Post a Comment