Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Review: truebar Coconut Cashew

If you’re a frequent visitor (thank you!), you might have noticed that I’ve been focusing on protein bars a lot lately. I do love them, especially those enormous ones (thanks to my bottomless stomach ;)). But I realized that it’s been a while since I posted anything granola-bar-ish, and not everybody enjoys the gummy, chewy, sometimes bitter taste of 20+ grams of protein packed into one little bar.

Anyway, a while ago I got a coupon for a free truebar from my GNC. A what bar? It’s basically a granola bar. truebars are made by Bakery on Main, which specializes in gluten-free granola that tastes great (supposedly--aside from this one bar I’ve never tried it). After checking out my options, I settled on the Coconut Cashew flavor (thinking, of course, of how much I LOVE the Coconut Cashew Quest bars).

“I'm a coconut cashew bar with nothing to hide. I'm a good source fiber and Omega 3, made with many low-GI ingredients, non-GMO, dairy and casein free, low sodium with no transfats or cholesterol and certified gluten free and Kosher Parve. And not to brag, but I taste really good.
Talkative little guy, isn’t he?



Here he is totally naked and with even less to hide. All I can say is, that’s a freaking lot of coconut!


The dark brown things are crispy pieces; the coconut and almonds are about the same color so it’s hard to differentiate from the pictures, but trust me--this bar is overwhelmingly coconut. I can smell the sweetness without bending down.

As you can guess, this is, basically, coconut. It’s pretty much a Mounds without the chocolate, and more crunchy from the other nuts and rice crisps. To be honest, I wouldn’t have known the other component was cashews unless you told me, because all I tasted was...coconut. It is really, really, really sweet. The stringy chewiness of the coconut contrasts well with the crispy rice, making for an interesting texture. It’s a granola bar, but at the same time, it’s not.

This is certainly a unique bar, but I did like it. It was so sweet (almost too sweet if you can believe that!) that I’d consider it more of a dessert. I know, right--me, recommending a dessert without chocolate?? But what a great break from the usual granola bars! I’d definitely consider trying this one if I were you.

Taste: 9.5--would be a 10 but it was almost too sweet, and I couldn’t taste the cashews amid all the coconut.
Texture: 8--if you don’t like the texture of shredded coconut, you’re out of luck. But if you do, it’s a great combination with rice crispies.
Health: 7--as the website claims, it’s gluten free, low-GI, and doesn’t contain dairy or trans fats. But it does contain a fair amount of saturated fat, so watch out.
Eat Again? Yes.


Post a Comment