Monday, November 5, 2012

The Golden Rule (An Ice Cream Review)

With the weather turning cold and summer becoming a distant memory, it’s time to turn up the heat, get depressed about the miserable cold that’s going to set it...and eat ice cream! How about a rethink of the classic Cookies & Cream?


Here we have Breyers Blasts! Golden Oreo “frozen dairy dessert” (apparently it doesn’t meet the FDA’s criteria to be considered ice cream):
GOLDEN OREO® Cookies explode in spoonfuls of our sweet cream and golden vanilla!”
What attracted me was the sweet cream ice cream...that, and I actually like Golden Oreos better than the original. I’ve always found cookies & cream to be a pretty ho-hum boring ice cream, something to choose only when there’s a lack of better options. But this combination sounded like it might be worth a shot.


OK, hold on a sec. Looking at the picture on the carton, I was expecting a swirl of yellow and white ice creams, weren’t you? But it seems to be just a uniform yellow. (I think that’s the golden vanilla?) As I scooped there were some white spots, but I couldn’t tell if they were the apparently AWOL sweet cream ice cream, or pieces of Oreo cream. Either way, I would have like more of the white stuff, because it was really sweet!


The thing about Breyers is that it’s usually really soft, and this is no exception. You know what that means--it’s way too easy to scoop! I had trouble restricting my intake to a reasonable amount. Plus, it was really easy to  just blow right through the bowl!

That said, this non-ice cream is really tasty. There are giant hunks of Oreos, rather than little mashed-up speckles, so you can really get the full Oreo-creme taste and slight gritty texture. (Just FYI, when I eat Oreos I carve out the creme, stack it up, and save it for last. In fact, I eat the Oreos just for the filling.) The vanilla ice cream is sweet, perhaps because it’s mixed with the sweet cream. Even though it’s lacking swirls, the base flavor is a winner as well. And the Oreos get nicely soggy, just perfectly crumbly...I imagine, if I liked milk, that it would be like soaking them in a big class just until they started to crumble.

I think it’s safe to say Breyers did a good job with this one. I’m not picky about whether it’s “real” ice cream or not, so that doesn’t bother me, nor does the extra-soft texture. It’s all part of the experience. I think this one will definitely make a reappearance in the freezer when I’m through with it!
Post a Comment