Saturday, December 15, 2012

Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie (An Ice Cream Review)

No, it’s not something I would walk into a store and pick out for myself. Sure, it’s Ben & Jerry’s, but compared to their other flavors, Chocolate Fudge Brownie just seems rather...boring. (How many people just put me at the top of their hit list?) I mean, I do get the occasional craving for pure chocolate ice cream, but I generally prefer vanilla. And as for mix-ins, chocolate brownies in chocolate ice cream just doesn’t seem like enough variety.

But, my sister brought this unfinished pint along when she came home for Thanksgiving break. And it was just sitting there...asking to be eaten...so I made a ritual of taking a spoonful every night until the whole thing was gone.


As you can see, we’re nearing the end of the pint here.... I did have some help along the way on this one. :)


And there’s my spoonful. I actually found it easy to take just one, by reasoning that other people were scooping out of the pint too and surely didn’t want to eat my germs.

Anyway, back to the actual ice cream. I think those weird whitish tan things were a brownie, but I’m not sure what happened to it. Maybe this is what results from Chocolate Fudge Brownie partially melting in Penn State Thanksgiving exodus traffic?

The thing that struck me (and again, this may be because of partial melting) was how dark the chocolate ice cream looked. Not quite as dark as Chocolate Therapy, but way darker than the Half Baked or Phish Food Froyos, or even the full-fat Phish Food I got on vacation. Surely it’s got to be the same chocolate base?

Well, what can I say, it’s Ben & Jerry’s, it’s good, rich, premium, and full of flavor. B&J have one of the best chocolate ice creams on the planet, in my opinion. The brownies aren’t hard and frozen, but rather nice and chewy and...well, fudgey. So the name certainly fits.

There’s just not a whole lot to say about brownies in chocolate ice cream. Given the choice, I’d pick something a little more exotic, but I enjoyed this nonetheless.


**************
I decided the other day that, for the sake of a fair comparison, I should go back and buy a fresh pint of this stuff. Well, I can officially say that it’s one of the less impressive flavors out there. I stand by what I said about B&J’s chocolate base, but the brownies are one of the less appealing brownies I’ve eaten, even when soaked in semi-melted ice cream. Sure, this time I had the benefits of huge, unbroken whole brownies, but all it did was emphasize their slightly rubbery, chewy texture. You know when a slightly crunchy brownie (not the way I like them, by the way) turns soggy? Well, that’s what I felt l like I was chewing on, and besides that they didn’t really add much flavor. Maybe you’ll hate me, but I’m going to say this one’s a waste of your 1,040 calories and $3.79.

Post a Comment