Thursday, December 20, 2012

Review: Supreme Protein Peanut Butter Pretzel Twist

When I was younger, I used to dip pretzels in the peanut butter jar all the time. I still do, but much less often because I’ve found that I really don’t enjoy pretzels that much anymore. That said, I really liked the MET-Rx Peanut Butter Pretzel bar that I tried a while ago, and Supreme Protein has been moderately successful so far in my book. So this Supreme Protein Peanut Butter Pretzel Twist bar went towards my buy three/get one free deal on protein bars at GNC.


It’s another big one...you know how I love those. ;) It’s also “powered by whey isolate,” which is a plus.


Not the prettiest thing to look at. I guess the lumps are pretzels; you can see some whole ones as well. It smells like peanut butter, though a little fake.


Wait WHAT?!?! Where the heck did the caramel come from? Now I know I’m unobservant about reading labels sometimes, but I didn’t see the word “caramel” advertised anywhere. Granted, the picture does have some tan-colored substance oozing from the bar, but still...that could be anything, right? Whatever, I love caramel, so this is just a bonus.

Between the peanut butter, the caramel, and the pretzels, there’s a lot to take in here. The peanut butter tastes a little funky at first, but in combination with the sweet caramel, plus the salty pretzels, it does work pretty well. The pretzels, surprisingly, aren’t a very big player in the overall effect, other than adding crunch. If you get a whole pretzel without a lot of caramel, it does come through, but for the most part they stay hidden. Fine by me, since I’m not a huge pretzel fan in the first place.

The caramel is what makes this bar shine. It’s truly candy-like in its sweetness and sticky-gooey texture (just look at those strings!). And there’s plenty of it, especially at the ends of the bar. The base really isn’t that tall--about half the total height--so there’s a lot of extra room in there to pack the caramel.

The base has some resistance but it’s chewy. Not the most pleasant texture alone, but the crunchy pretzels and gooey caramel elevate its status considerably. My only complaint is the mess--chunks of pretzel and coating falling off everywhere! But I think it’s fine as long as you’re not trying to eat this on the go.

Taste: 8--I love the caramel, although the peanut butter tastes a little off; at least there’s no protein taste.
Texture: 9--the base is a bit of a workout, but the gooey caramel and crunchy pretzels make it work.
Health: 6--I wish it had less sugar and a waay shorter list of ingredients. But 30 grams of protein isn’t bad. Although, some of it is soy.
Eat Again? Maybe, once in a while.


Post a Comment