Sunday, December 9, 2012

'Tis the Season

Nothing says holidays like cookies. ’Tis the season, after all, for baking. Which is partly why we had a big extended-family bake-fest today with my cousins’ family and my cousin’s girlfriend, who happens to be an amazing cook.

OK, it turned into me, my mom and sister, my aunt, and my cousin’s girlfriend having a bake-off while the guys watched football. And made numerous trips through the kitchen to see if the cookies were done.

But, unlike the Little Red Hen, we let them try some of our goodies. :)

First, there were oatmeal raisin cookies.



They almost overflowed from the (large) mixing bowl we used, and I think we were putting them through the oven for two hours (OK, slight exaggeration). Maybe doubling the batch wasn’t necessary, but they turned out awesome!



Next came the snickerdoodles:



Again, amazing. They were my cousin’s girlfriend’s recipe, apparently the second time she’s ever made snickerdoodles. I don’t believe it for a second, because I have never met a doughier, more cinnamon-sugary, softer snickerdoodle. Perfect.

For the chocolate lovers, there were Hershey’s Design Your Own Chocolate Cookies, made with both white and semi-sweet chocolate chips.


And the grand finale was the classic Nestle Toll House recipe (sans nuts) that you find on the back of their chocolate chip bags. Not that we needed the bag, because we ALL had it memorized! :)

It was great. Amazing things happen in the kitchen, not just with food but with good friends and family. It was great to visit, taste cookie dough, and, yes, eat the final products. There’s nothing like a warm, cozy kitchen filled with the scents of cinnamon and chocolate to make a rainy December day seem brighter.
Post a Comment