Sunday, January 20, 2013

Ben & Jerry's Cake Batter (An Ice Cream Review)

I’m getting scared. What happens when I run out of new Ben & Jerry’s flavors that sound enjoyable (or at least acceptable)? I’ve been considering slowing down my consumption of out fat-saturated friends, but then...I remembered I had a pint of Cake Batter in the freezer.


I remember this as being one of my all-time favorites, since I love all things unbaked and most especially brownie and cake batter. (Sadly, B&J’s killed their Brownie Batter, which I consider blasphemy. Chocolate Therapy can only make up for it so much.) But I’ve developed quite a taste for solid mix-ins, and this pint simply doesn’t have any.

“Yellow Cake Batter Ice Cream with a Chocolate Frosting Swirl”
Oh yeah, one of my other favorite things to do is eat spoonfuls of Betty Crocker Whipped frosting straight out of the can...although I haven’t done that in a while, and only ever with vanilla.

Anyway, I got off track. Despite the light color (I find the light ones softer than, say, a chocolate base), it was really hard to scoop. So maybe don’t pull it right out of the freezer, let it sit for a minute and then dig in. But in this case, the difficulty of scooping helped control my portion size, so there’s always a bright side. :)


If I thought the Breyers Birthday Blast! was sweet, this is a whole other story. It tastes just like yellow cake batter you make out of the box. It’s the difference between Breyers’ cake-flavored base and a cake batter-flavored base. If you’ve ever had the two flavors, you know what I mean. If you haven’t...well, I don’t know what to tell you, you’ve had a deprived childhood. Go buy some, right now.

Despite the fight to get it out of the pint, this ice cream is super creamy. I attribute part of that to the fact that literally about half of it is swirl, not base. Which is great if you love chocolate frosting, but it does kind of drown out the cake batter flavor. Which is sad, because, as mentioned above, I LOVE cake batter!

The frosting here is really, really rich. I can’t decide whether to avoid it or aim for it, save it for last or get it over with. It melts before the rest of the ice cream, so it’s dripping down the mounds of scoops in my bowl.... It’s almost too much, too strong, too...something. Maybe too sweet? Or too chocolatey? Two things I never thought I’d hear myself say. But then again, Ben & Jerry seem to be experts at making us question our previous assumptions.

Bottom line? I love the cake batter, but that’s not a surprise. The chocolate frosting swirl is more of a chocolate frosting bomb that exploded right in the middle of the pint, obliterating half the actual ice cream and seeping into the holes left behind. I’d like to see less of it. In fact, if I were to advise B&J (wouldn’t that be a cool job?!), I’d say make it a (much) thinner swirl, and add in cake pieces to mix up the texture. That said, its super creamy texture and most awesome cake batter base ever used in an ice cream still make it a favorite.
Post a Comment