Tuesday, January 15, 2013

In The Arctic Zone (An...Ice Cream?...Review)

OK, I seem to have gone from one extreme to the other. Given my volume of Ben & Jerry’s posts, you might think I’m a premium ice cream snob. But that’s far from the truth. I’m equal opportunity, as long as we’re talking tasty flavors (no fruit, coffee, etc.!). Truth is, it doesn’t even have to be ice cream.


Arctic Zero Chocolate Peanut Butter. No, you didn’t misread the label. It really does have about 150 calories per pint (148, but seriously--who cares?). It’s not actually ice cream, so it’s fine for the lactose intolerant, and it’s gluten free, and the main ingredient (after water) is whey. The whole pint has 14 grams of protein. And come on, who’s not going to eat the whole pint? If it tastes good, that is.


I wasn’t expecting super-creamy frozen goodness, so the slightly iced look wasn’t a surprise. Although I’ve been looking for this stuff ever since I found out about it months ago (I finally found it at Giant along with five new pints of B&J’s...oh, the irony), I honestly didn’t have high hopes for it given online reviews and the fact that it just sounded too good to be true. BUT, it certainly does smell strongly of peanut butter.


Despite its appearances, I found this stuff to be quite creamy. I didn’t eat it fresh out of the freezer, I let it sit long enough for pictures and some label scrutiny. If you’re not patient enough I suppose you could nuke it for a couple seconds. Either way, I was ready for an unsatisfying Italian ice-like texture, but this is really a fair imitation of ice cream. The only thing I noticed was that it was a little gummy.

The first thing I did was scrape off the lid, and it really does taste like peanut butter. Well, off-peanut butter, but off in the sense that there’s chocolate mixed in there too. The website calls these “A protein shake in ice cream from,” but I’m not tasting any weird protein stuff going on. Then again, I drink a protein shake every day, so to each her own. It could do with some mix-ins, but who am I kidding? For the nutritional profile this is great.

I was actually pretty impressed with this pseudo-ice cream. True, an entire pint of B&J’s has more than 14 grams of protein, but it’s also obviously pretty bad for you. Not so here. That, plus its amazing nutritional info, means I’ll be carving out a space in the freezer for these guys. The only downside is the cost. ..but that doesn
t stop me from stocking B&Js.
Post a Comment