Thursday, January 31, 2013

Review: Detour Lean Muscle Cookies & Cream

So by now I’m sure the two employees (there must be more, but I only ever see two of them) at GNC must know that I only come in if I’ve got a coupon for something free. After several occasions walking in and out of the store without ever taking out my wallet, I started to feel bad, thinking maybe I should actually buy something while I was there. And then I learned about their protein bar special (buy three, get one free), which seems to be permanent. It all kind of snowballed from there, and now those two employees know I’m usually good for an extra four protein bars in addition to my original free one.

Anyway, they had a couple of Detour bars, and the ones I’ve tried so far were pretty good (in fact, the Cookie Dough Caramel Crisp was literally candy). After experiencing MET-Rx’s Super Cookie Crunch and Creamy Cookie Crisp, I was curious about Detour’s take on the classic Cookies & Cream.


Just showing you the size of this monstrosity. ;)


OK, you probably know how I feel about white coatings, so I’m already in love with this bar. I also like that you can see the cookie pieces showing through. Not only is it a nice visual touch, but now I know they’re really in there. On the other hand, it smells like protein. I know that sounds weird, but it’s a weird off-smell, kind of bitter, I guess...anybody who’s had enough protein bars probably knows what I’m talking about. Basically, it smells a bit like protein aftertaste.


It looks pretty much like the picture on the wrapper. It’s a protein base with cookies & cream mixed in, with a chocolate layer running through the middle. I’m not sure if that chocolate layer is a protein layer or a “treat” layer, but in any case it’s not really thick enough to impart significant flavor.

The overall taste is pleasantly sweet. The protein I smelled is definitely there, but not nearly as much as I’d feared, and the sweetness is what lingers in your mouth. I think the coating does a good job of hiding any imperfections in the base. Because the coating is awesome. The ingredients say it’s white chocolate flavored, which isn’t normally a part of C&C, but since I love white chocolate I’m not going to complain. Still, I wouldn’t liken it to a candy bar like I have with other Detour bars, because I was always aware of that protein taste.

The texture might be a little much for some. It’s really a workout, especially if you try to hurry through the bar. I know there are cookie chunks inside, but they’re totally consumed by the gumminess of the base and don’t add crunch or crisp or anything noticeable. So they’re more of an aesthetic addition. I found that this bar got stuck in my mouth (sort of like a gummy version of peanut butter?), and the leftover feeling may have been slightly chalky, or I was just dehydrated.

I don’t like this flavor as much as some of the other Detour bars I’ve had, and MET-Rx’s bars were a much better approximation of cookies & cream. It’s too bad, because the white chocolate coating really was a star...hmm, could we have a bar that was just solid coating? :)

Taste: 8--overall quite sweet, but the protein never really disappears completely.
Texture: 7--tough to chew, gets stuck in your mouth.
Health: 8--TONS of protein, minimal sugar and active carbs...but also a lot of sugar alcohols. Read the label before you decide it’s right for you.
Eat Again? Probably not. I’ll go for the Cookie Dough Caramel Crisp if I feel an inexplicable craving for enormous Detour bars.


Post a Comment