Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Review: iSatori Eat Smart Bar Frosted Cinnamon Caramel Crunch

I’ve mentioned a few times before that I had a coupon for a free iSatori Eat Smart bar, but that my first three attempts to redeem it at my local GNC produced no results (they were always “due with the next shipment”). Well, they finally got them in stock, so after much debate I chose the Frosted Cinnamon Caramel Crunch flavor (the other choice was Chocolate Peanut Caramel Crunch).


This bar is 80 grams, so it’s a big bar, but it’s not the conventional squared-off log shape. It’s more of a flat square, not as tall as brands like Detour or Supreme Protein. But it has that white coating going for it (I love those), and all I can smell while camera-wielding is...cinnamon. Good sign!


It’s your standard rice crisp base, like a granola bar--not those gummy protein bars, which is kind of cool. The off-white color is reminiscent of cinnamon rolls and caramel, too.

The main component of this bar is, hands down, cinnamon. In fact, there really isn’t any caramel taste at all. It’s not a very sweet cinnamon, more straight-up spice cinnamon than cinnamon roll. (Wow, how many more times do you think I can write “cinnamon”?) Anyway, the coating is predictably my favorite part, being both sweet and smooth and slightly melt-in-your-mouth. There is a very subtle background note that I think might be protein, but the cinnamon is strong enough that it doesn’t linger.

I really did like the taste. That said, there’s something not quite right about this bar that puts it below the other cinnamon-flavors bars I’ve tried. Maybe it’s the texture--while it’s dense and crispy like a granola bar/Rice Crispies combination, there’s a bit of a dry component to it. It lacks juiciness. The middle part (in between the coating) just seemed like a bland backdrop for the cinnamon spice.

My only other complaint is that the coating rubs off very easily, and then you have to lick it off your fingers. But despite the dryness and lack of caramel, this is still a bar I wouldn’t mind eating again.

Taste: 8--cinnamon, but far from a cinnamon roll; a little bland behind the spice. The coating gets a 10. ;)
Texture: 7--crispy like a granola bar, but slightly dry.
Health: 8--a good source of protein, but it does have a significant amount of carbs and saturated fat. It also lists “isolated soy protein” before whey, so it may not be ideal.
Eat Again? Yeah, but not often.


Post a Comment