Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Review: KIND Bar Almond Cashew + Omega 3

A few months ago (OK, maybe more like 6...), I received a free KIND snack bar. It has since been lost, found, forgotten, and lost again, but I recently uncovered it in the basement and decided I’d better eat it before it runs away for good.


I received the Almond Cashew with Flax + OMEGA 3 bar, which is a “chewy and crunchy blend of whole almonds, cashews and dates” and has 500 mg of Omega-3 fatty acids, which I’m sure I don’t get enough of as a vegetarian (or whatever you call marshmallow/gummy bear-eating “vegetarians”).

The first thing I can say about this bar is that it’s sticky. It stuck to my napkin and, while it doesn’t leave visible residue, you fingers will be sticky until you wash them, so be ready. I think it’s a combination of the dates and whatever else binds this bar together. It also makes it a little challenging to take a bite, but a little work never killed anyone. :)

This bar reminds me a lot of just munching on almonds, albeit sweetened ones. It’s packed with these nuts, and they’re whole, so they definitely play a big role in making the texture crunchy. I can taste the cashews, too, but not nearly as much. The rest of the bar--the sticky stuff, dates I suppose--it sweet and gives the nuts a candied feel. It almost gave me a molasses/appley vibe.

This bar is sort of like the Coconut Cashew truebar I had over the summer, in that it’s a sweet nutty nutrition bar. But it’s less of a dessert-y bakery item, and it’s coarser. It’s like trail mix in a bar from.

I’m not much for fruit-and-nut bars, but I can’t deny that this one is good. If you’re an almond fan (or are open to any kind of nuts), it’s a sure winner. A sweet take on Omega-3s.

Taste: 9--like candied almonds.
Texture: 7--a bit sticky and tough to chew, but the nut crunch is still intact.
Health: 8--GoodGuide gives it a 3.9, but its only warning is about the sugar content. Also note the 10 grams of fat, though most of that is healthy fats from the nuts.
Eat Again? Maybe.


Post a Comment