Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Review: Luna Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter

Now here’s a name that hasn’t shown up lately! It’s been forever since I’ve eaten a Luna bar. Hmm...it’s also been forever since I bought this Luna bar at Wegmans, so we’ll see how this goes. This is the Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein bar, designed just for us girlies to get our protein. Although I have to say, after eating Quest bars (20 grams) at least once a day and, more recently, eating those massive bars with 30+ grams of protein, 12 grams does not impress me that much. But I’ll give it to them because while some might not consider it “high” protein, it does have more than the regular Luna bars.


Oh yeah, and it’s small. Smaller than my usual breakfast bar, anyway. Why is it that the ladies never get anything full-sized? Maybe it’s just me, but I’m a bit miffed at being treated as dainty. (Maybe because I’m totally not.)


Anyway, I’ll try to be objective. Because it does look tasty, with that peanut buttery filling. I can’t exactly smell peanut butter, only the coating, which smells dark...or perhaps old? The coating does look slightly aged...

Given that this bar has sat in my basement for a while, I can’t accurately say whether the chocolate is supposed to be milk or dark. But it tastes just like your average dark chocolate, so at least it doesn’t taste old. In fact, I’m super impressed with the shelf life of this thing, because there’s nothing stale about the entire ensemble, including the soft and mushy center. Which actually does taste like peanut butter, though it’s kind of subtle and sweet as opposed to straight peanut butter. There is a very slight protein aftertaste, sort of bitter...but you know what? I don’t really care. It gets lost in the rest of the bar.

This bar is soft, as I said before, but the base is not gummy at all. I can see some peanut-looking things in there, but based on chewing I can’t seem to find them. It has a few crispy pieces, but no peanut crunch. So maybe my eyes are failing, but that’s no fault of Luna’s. I blew right through this little bar because it was so easy to eat, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your needs and preferences.

Overall, this is a nicely executed combination of (dark?) chocolate and peanut butter. Much like the Cookie Dough version, it’s a good imitation of the real thing, and it’s a nice little snack. If your excuse for not eating protein bars is taste or texture, try these bars. They might change your mind.

Taste: 8--mild, sweetish peanut butter and dark chocolate. Good combination, if you ask me. Which, since you ended up here, you sorta did. ;)
Texture: 9--soft mushy without being gummy; very easy to eat.
Health: 7.5--As with all Luna bars, it’s 70% organic and is a good protein-infused snack. GoodGuide only makes note of the high saturated fat and sugar content, for a score of 6.8.
Eat Again? Sure, although it’s not going to be a regular...I’m too stuck in my ways. :)


Post a Comment