Thursday, January 10, 2013

Review: Promax Fit n' Crisp Vanilla Marshmallow Bar

After I found out that Promax makes Rice Krispies Treats, I went back to GNC with another coupon and came out with the other flavor of Fit n’ Crisp bar, Vanilla Marshmallow.


I am a lover of  all things marshmallow (hence my addiction to Ben & Jerry’s Phish Food), so this seemed perfect. The first thing you notice upon opening it up is that it does smell like marshmallow--in fact, it could almost pass off as a regular Rice Krispies Treat, but it’s even sweeter.


Like the Cinnamon Crunch flavor, this does a pretty good job of mimicking a Rice Krispies Treat. The texture is almost exactly the same, a light and airy crisp with perhaps a bit more grit than Kellogg’s treats.

In terms of flavor, at first it’s a blast of sweetness. I think it’s the icing, but wow! Way sweeter than the real thing! It’s definitely reminiscent of marshmallow...until the aftertaste kicks in. Like the Cinnamon Crunch version, it has a bitter hint at the end. It’s not as noticeable as the cinnamon, but still detectable. After some experimenting, I found that the faster you eat this bar, the less prevalent the aftertaste becomes. Since I like to go slow and enjoy my food, this doesn’t really work for me.

So, while I liked this flavor better, it’s still probably not a repeat. If you’re looking for something more nutritious to replace Rice Krispies Treats, though, you may want to check this out.

Taste: 8--it has two sides: first, the super sweet; then, the bitter aftertaste.
Texture: 10--it is what it claims to be, a Rice Krispies Treat texture the whole way.
Health: 8--I won’t deny there’s a lot of sugar, but in the context most people will use it--as a snack, or to replace an actual Rice Krispies Treat--I think it deserves some credit.
Eat Again? If someone gave it to me, sure. But I wouldn’t buy it again.


Post a Comment