Saturday, January 19, 2013

Review: Promax LS Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Energy Bar

You know it was only a matter of time after starting to shop at Giant (thanks to Ben & Jerry’s flavor locator) before I found their protein/nutrition bar section. And you know what that means. I effectively doubled my stash, because there were three (count ‘em, THREE!) flavors of Promax bars I’d never tried, plus a couple thinkThin flavors, and a return to Kashi’s goLean Crisp! bars. That’s just a preview of what’s to come, although I really should mix in a few of the bars I already have sitting around too. :)

Anyway, with so many new bars, the Promax LS Peanut Butter Cookie Dough was just screaming for me to try it. I mean come on, I love peanut butter and I love cookie dough, and even though I knew there was no possible way the thing would actually taste like either one, I couldn’t resist those words.


It looks just like I’d expect, same with the smell. It’s a peanut butter-coated bar that smells a bit like fake peanut butter, which I’ve found is how almost all peanut butter-flavored bars smell, regardless of taste.


The inside is also peanut butter-colored, and it broke easily with the consistency of a soft cookie or brownie. The actual texture is chewy, but it’s a hard sort of chew; not gummy, sort of like cookie dough but significantly tougher. The coating remains intact, which is always a plus. But it does make you thirsty, so have a drink handy, and I wouldn’t rush through this bar because your jaw would probably get tired.

In terms of taste, the base does have a faint peanut butter flavor, but it’s also a little on the protein side of things. The coating, however, imparts quite a bit of peanut butter flavor to mitigate that not-so-appealing bite, and, of course, the best parts are the ends (where there’s more coating!). In my mind, the coating gets an A+.

Now, this bar got me pondering some deep issues: What, exactly, is the difference between peanut butter and peanut butter cookie dough? Most of the other Promax bars I tried I seem to recall having some some sort of crisp or crunch to the base, whereas this one didn’t, so maybe that’s the key characteristic? Anyway, it’s certainly not taste, because this just tasted like any old peanut butter protein bar. I’d like to see a more distinguishable “dough” component.

Another thing to note: LS means “lower sugar,” not “low” but “lower.” So, while it has less sugar than some other bars, there are still 9 grams (and while the carbs may look high, it’s also got quite a bit of fiber). Just something to think about.

For me, this isn’t a repeat buy. I’d much rather have the Nutty Butter Crisp I got from Trader Joe’s, heart-attack-inducing sugar content and all. But in the meantime, I’ll probably still buy new products labeled “peanut butter” and “cookie dough.”

Taste: 6--sort of peanut buttery, but the base is proteiny; no hint of dough.
Texture: 8--tougher than cookie  dough, but still chewy; uniform texture throughout.
Health: 7--lots of protein and fiber, and it is lower sugar than the rest of the line. But I wouldn’t call it low carb, either.
Eat Again? No.

Post a Comment