Saturday, January 5, 2013

Review: Pure Protein Bar Chocolate Deluxe

I’m building up quite a Pure Protein collection here on the blog, thanks in part to my discovery of the protein-bar wall at Weis and the opening of State College’s own Trader Joe’s. This particular bar caught my eye at said Trader Joe’s on opening night because it was bigger than the other flavors I had previously found at Weis, weighing in at 78 grams, with 32 grams of protein!.


This is the Chocolate Deluxe flavor, and it looks pretty unassuming and chocolatey from the outside...


...and the inside as well. It looks to be merely a chocolate-protein base coated in chocolate.

This is one case where it’s OK to judge the book by its cover. This is a pretty boring bar. That’s not to say it’s terrible, but it certainly doesn’t stand out. From the uniform gummy texture--not even the sparsely scattered crisps some of the other flavors have--to the slightly off, proteiny chocolate taste, it just screams, “forget me!” It’s thick and gummy enough to keep you occupied and satisfied for a while, but other than that, there’s not much else going for it.

Like I said, it’s not that bad-tasting, just terribly uninspired. The base is going to turn some people off, but it’s not really much different from the Life Choice or thinkThin bars, both of which I eat semi-frequently (it would be more often but I just have to have my Quest bars ;)). The only plus side is the 32 grams of protein for a relatively low 280 calories. The only other jumbo bars that come close to that are some of the Metragenix flavors.

Taste: 6--off-chocolate, a little sour and proteiny, and boring.
Texture: 7--gummy and uniform, slightly boring.
Health: 8--since I can’t write “boring” here, I’ll just point out that it does have a LOT of protein and only 4 grams of sugar. Sugar alcohols clock in at 7 grams, which I’m OK with.
Eat Again? Maybe, just maybe...but not when I want to take my time and enjoy what I’m eating.


Post a Comment